IVF following partners low sperm count (TC)

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

Hello,

My partner just had his sperm count test done 1 year post chemo from testicular cancer (stage 3)

His results are very low.

200,000 per ml

85% immotile 

4% progressive 

11% non progressive 

2% of normal form

The lady at the fertility clinic said to try for 4 months and if we dont fall pregnant to go to the doctors to ask for IVF on the NHS. 

I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with the IVF process following cancer treatment? If they was able to have it/how long it took etc.

Also does anyone know if post cancer patients are at any advantage to be accepted for IVF on the NHS as opposed to someone who has not been through cancer and is struggling to concieve? 

Thank you for any help/info

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of questions and your main question is very specific but I see that you have put your question to our Nurse team so I am sure that they will do some research and get back to you.

But talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot so with this in mind can I direct you to this links to our Testicular cancer Group where you will connect with people who understand the journey you are both on. You can ask the folks questions about tests and what to expect during the months ahead.

Follow the link above and join the group by hitting the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name and it is worth indicating how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

Go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge