Life After Cancer Coping With Limitations

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to the community, I don't know if anyone else feels the same ?  I'm 6 1/2 years post breast cancer treatment, and still have to take care, especially with general tiredness.  I am also beginning to cope with the thought that although I physically and mentally would like to stop work, this financially won't happen for another 6 years.  I do get frustrated with this though.  However I have a good life, plenty of time to myself to explore my passions !! xx Love to all !!  -  I used to use this wonderful community when I was going through active treatment and found it so valuable !!

• Hi ....... I do like some of the Forum names LOL..... and welcome to this corner of the Online Community. 

6 1/2 years - well done, I am coming up to 3 1/2 years...... but my cancer journey is coming up to 20 years this year.

Although we have had totally different cancers and treatment journeys, I do understand the challenges of living life. I have been left with a somewhat reduced immune system so infections have been a normal part of winter life...... but things are improving as I only was in hospital 7 days this winter Grin

I do understand where you are at with regards to stopping work. Even although I took early retirement (work related issues) a few years back, the past 5+ years treatments including being away from home for treatment (9 hours round trip) for 11 weeks put a lot of pressure on our finances. I did also go self-employed when I retired to bridge the gap but I only got a year or so and can not go back to this.

But times like these make us look at what is actually important and we were amazed how we were able to tighten the belt.

Every day is a new day to enjoy and to explore.

Good to see you have your profile done as it does help folks looking for support and positive outcomes.

See you around the community

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi  Mike the Highlander, thank you for your post.   My cancer journey seems tiny compared to yours, you are an amazingly strong guy and sounds like you have a wonderful family !  Thank you for the advice, I agree with what you said about 'tightening the belt'.  I believe like yourself there are things you can have in life and things which you can probably do without.  Happy times !

Best Wishes

Mick-Mac Molly

• Good morning - do like your Forum name Joy

I think everyone including the families who do all the supporting on a cancer journey are all heroes in my book.

We do what we need to do to get through and out the other end of this rollercoaster.

At times, living the post cancer journey is like living in a parallel universe - you can see your old life but regardless what you do you can not get back on that same path.

But I am content with my new path as it does contain a better appreciation of what living life is all about. You take care and remember - be kind to yourself because you are worth it.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there, you sound on good form.  I'm so glad you have time to explore your passions.  I'm 10 1/2 years post breast cancer treatment and have recently been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica.  Like you, I still have to take care with general tiredness but, I have found lots of ways to make life work with time for rest and fun as well as work.  I totally get the physically and mentally wanting to stop work and the frustration of the financial binds of the next ten years.  I'm exploring ways to perhaps reduce my hours or work smart somehow. I guess we will figure it out in the long run.

the site is amazing for support at those moments isn't it!

Enjoy your passions a'plenty.

AMSML