Thanks for all the information

• 26 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I just had my Reversal 3 weeks ago. I also had very low rectal cancer and ended up having my entire rectum removed. I am now struggling with days where I am going to the bathroom about every 20 minutes But it is only a small amount. Then there are times where I do go at all for several days. I also get the burning sensation in my bum.  The Calmoseptine lotion helps but does not take it all away.  Sometimes it can just about drive me crazy.  my Dr has put me on stool softeners to try to regulate me but it does not seem to be working yet.  I am hoping that my colon will stretch and create a new holding area but I assume that will take a long time.  I start back at work after next week and am a bit worried if I have to use the restroom every 20 minutes. Luckily I work from home most of the time. I will check with my Dr about the Lopermide once a day to see if that is a possible solution.  I keep having a bad feeling that I am going to be stuck and have to go to a permanent Colostomy bag but will keep trying here for a while.

Thanks all,

Jdr7665

• Oh you’ve had them both too haven’t you. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• No Ive got an iliostomy.I was just interested.

Kath

• Sorry Kath. I remember reading you bio ages ago and thought that you’d had the two at different times. I have brain fog. No it’s not from Covid. It’s from my age 

I need brain training. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Haha.!!

Comes to us all

Kath

• Definitely 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Back on the chemo, week 1 of cycle 1 of 6 rounds of folfiri. So not too great now the steroids have worn off, but trust it will help keep the squatter at bay. How are you getting on?

Every blessing
    Wellspring
  • Bless you

I’ll be thinking of you it must be so hard but your attitude is amazing. Keep the squatter at bay. That’s the ticket 

I’m okay thanks. Had meat yesterday which was nerve racking.  But it was only mince! With mash. 
    ha ha toddler food for me until things calm. The pain’s definitely lifted thank goodness that was awful 

you take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Wellspring,

that is a good idea to set a goal.  I also would like to swim without the bag.  I am so sorry you had to go through both and the reversal!  I also saw that you are back on chemo.  I will be praying for you.  Thank you for sharing your experience, it does help!

thanks,

jdr7665

• Hi Artsie,

yes, I was constipated.  I went from having frequent movements to having 2 decent movements within 5 minutes of each other and then to 3 days of constipation.  After taking the stool softener, I went back to small movements every 30 minutes.  I had my stoma for 3 months.  I also don’t seem to have a problem with meat or eating much of anything.  I am on a low fiber diet but my surgwon said I might need to add some more fiber in.

thanks,

jdr7665

• Hi jdr7665

Thanks for reply. Three months is fast for a reversal . My surgeon recommended a three month for reversal was the best outcome. Up to six months okay. Twelve can be tricky to wake up the bowel. I was thirteen months. 
    I eat lots of white soft bread to thicken and mashed food for now. When I eat something that’s rich or too colourful I pay for it 

You are at the very early stage of your reversal. Hopefully you’ll see an improvement over time. If you keep a food diary that might help. 
    Also the exercise where you hold on taking deep breathes wait for the urge to pass. But of course your stools need to be a good consistency.  Maybe Loperamide will do the trick 

Ann
     ‍Art