About to have stoma operation

• 37 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello all I have been on the bowel cancer group for about 7 months now and am due to have an operation for a Stoma on the 14th of March I will also be having my backside removed as my tumor was very low down and just inside my Anus/rectum I am hoping that some of you can help me with a few tips on what to expect and if anyone has also had the full removal of backside how long did it take to recover and get back to something like normal. As it happens my wife has a non cancerous bowel problem for many years and was on the waiting list for a colonostopy  so our surgeon decided to go for a bogoff and do us both at the same time so at least we can support each other truly knowing what the other is going through. My name is Dave and I live in Cornwall. 

• Hi eddistomart, such a positive reply, love it. I 2 was told a live or die op when I was told I needed surgery after a ambulance run to A&E. I have stage 3 now in my liver, but being positive definately helps. I have even been told I am Blazey about it. I have my moments believe you me. Still getting used to my stoma & yes you can never tell when they will interrupt a conversation. Ha ha.

Thanks again. 

• Hi again

Thought I'd share a couple of the poems I wrote recently. I believe in positive thoughts bringing positive results. I believe in facing life head on.

Good luck to all who are on this journey.

I don't know why cancer picked me

Or why fate lent a hand

I thought my symptoms were minor

And went about life as planned

A phone call to a doc

A few scans and tests

The worst prognosis  

A notion the mind detests

Now a whole different mind set

Life changing intervention

Live in the NOW

Go forward

With positive intention

A stoma is not the end

Won't hinder a beautiful life

I'm free and strong

No more pain, or strife

Eddie and me we're best mates

Only now and again a chore

Always easily managed

Only now and then, sore

For all of the vanity

The worries of how I'm perceived

Life is now so much better

I'm fit

I'm strong

I'm relieved

You think you can make me doubt my survival

You think you can rival

The force that lives within me

Can't you see

I'm a fighter

I will not give in

Submit

To your loathsome disease

I'm at ease

With my strength

My will

You will not kill

I will overcome

You will be done

I will not perish

I will cherish

My future so bright

My day is not night

My sunshine has not turned to rain

I've everything to gain

I'll live life to the full

And see out my days

In the sun’s rays

• Hi Dave

Just thought I'd drop you a good luck message for both of you tomorrow. I'm assuming you have the Moviprep or similar for this evening. I made the mistake of having a large pasta meal at 3 pm, so I would suggest something less fibrous and maybe more bland (white fish, rice, etc)

Anyway, keep positive and all will be ok. Take care in the early stages to avoid getting a hernia. Press on your stomach when coughing or sneezing.

Don't underestimate the surgery or the recovery but it will pass, and each day will be better. 

Good luck Shamrock️

Richard (Eddie Stomart)

• Hi Richsrd thanks for your support all these messages help to calm the nerves. My wife has the movie report but they have lumbered me with an enema oh happy days. Cheers for the message 

• Hi

I had the enema on the morning of my op too! 

• Good Luck 

I hated that darn bowel prep but my op one wasn’t as bad as the colonoscopy.

Hope all goes well 

best wishes

Ann
     ‍Art

• I’m due to have APR surgery on 25th April. Can’t sleep for thinking about it. I had 5 weeks of chemo radiotherapy then was ll clear for nearly a year. Last scan show regrowth and it’s low in the rectum/anus. Hope you are well on way to recovery 

• Hi jpsyandP well all done now been just over 4 weeks and I have to say I'm pretty upbeat obviously the actual op and stay in hospital( 6days) was  not a cheerful time ( staff absolutely brilliant)  but now home and coming on well , as far as the Stoma goes it's there and part of me and changing the bag every day is pretty easy now that I am over the silly mistakes which led to a few leaks but that's just teething problems. My wife is also now very accepting of her stoma and copping well as we both have a problem with post op itching it's not like we can leave it open  for a hour or two or stick a Nitting  needle inside for a good scratch. My main drawback is the " pain in the ass " where my rectum/ anus was removed along with half a Colon and part of my Coxic bone try as I might I can't sit in a chair for more than an hour at a time even with The special cushions provided so I am mostly confined to the bedroom lying on my side bored silly. But I have managed to get in the car long enough to get to a nearby field to give our dog a run and am tacking short walks with the dog as well lucky she walks without a lead as long as I stick to our own estate so no roads to cross. So I hope all goes well on the25th remember you are doing this to stop the Cancer in its track and for me that has worked surgeon wrote today that having tested what was removed I am now Cancer Free and the likleyhood of it returning is very slim so worth the hassle in the end.  All the best Dave

• Thank you for replying. So happy that both you and your wife are on the mend. Did you get plastic surgery on your bum to help close over. I know that I will be getting plastic surgery. I have pre op assessment and first appointment with stoma nurse in the coming week. Thank you again.

Jill