About to have stoma operation

• 37 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello all I have been on the bowel cancer group for about 7 months now and am due to have an operation for a Stoma on the 14th of March I will also be having my backside removed as my tumor was very low down and just inside my Anus/rectum I am hoping that some of you can help me with a few tips on what to expect and if anyone has also had the full removal of backside how long did it take to recover and get back to something like normal. As it happens my wife has a non cancerous bowel problem for many years and was on the waiting list for a colonostopy  so our surgeon decided to go for a bogoff and do us both at the same time so at least we can support each other truly knowing what the other is going through. My name is Dave and I live in Cornwall. 

• If you want have a read of my bio then if at all relevant do ask anything

All the best

Kath

• Thanks Katz51 sounds as if you had a pretty rough time I am glad it only took 6 weeks to heal I was expecting more, hopefully I can have similar experience. 

• Hi Dave, I had my large bowel removed completely including rectum and anus 5 weeks ago tomorrow. First 3 days were a bit rough, but after that, once I was getting out of bed, things improved quickly. Didn't even need pain relief by about day 6. Back home, I am going out walking, up to 8 miles now. My stomach feels pretty ok, though obviously still some awkwardness when getting up and bending. The backside is ok, but still a bit of discomfort sitting, but it is bearable and I can sit down normally. Sitting on hard surfaces is still more uncomfortable though. I have to say I have felt and feel much better than I thought I would during recovery. I must add though I had robotic surgery which apparently makes recovery much easier and I have had no complications. The stoma and the bag take some getting used to and it is far too early to say I am comfortable with it, I am still very aware of it, but it is getting better. I am still off high fibre foods at the moment, but eating most other things without major problems. To keep output consistent I currently just take 2 loperamide (immodium) a day and that is sufficient. I have a physical job, so signed off for 6 weeks after leaving hospital, but if I had a desk job, I would feel confident returning to work now. I have just tried following the medical advice given and taken things one step at a time, not overdoing things, but trying to do a little bit more or reintroducing a food item slowly, but regularly and, touch wood, it seems to be going ok. I hope this helps a little bit and I wish you both an uneventful and speedy recovery

• Hi Gavin 1501 thanks for your reply that is a really positive  outcome and although I realise that we all have different reactions I find your post very reassuring as I had a choice between watch and wait and hope the cancer doesn't come back ( not such a good outcome if it does return so I'm told) or just have it out now and that's the end of that that being my preferred option but I have had a few times wondering is it the right choice so I am happier having read your reply thanks for sharing your experience.  Dave

• Hi Dave, yes different people, different experiences. I just wanted you to know it can be ok. I should have said before though, I didn't have cancer, but I do have a faulty gene which makes bowel cancer a virtual certainty which is why I had the procedure. A tough choice, but one that needed to be taken. For a couple of days soon after the op, when feeling rough, I did wonder if I had made the right choice. I know it was the right thing to do now. I am getting used to the stoma and the bag, but still very aware that it is there. I suppose it will take quite some time to get to the point where I don't think about it, but I will get there and you will too.

Gavin

• Thanks Gavin sorry to hear about your gene problem that's not a nice choice to have to make but I suppose it's a bit like myself a choice for which I think I have made  are the better of my two options as it sounds you have . I will post something on here once I have actually had the op and propably a comparison with my wife's keyhole Colostomy. Thanks again for the effort of posting your experiences. Cheers Dave

• Hi there I’m adding  to this thread. He has been through your op and is a little further along. 
    Take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Dave

I went through a similar op to you back in Feb 2021, and I would say the recovery is not to be taken lightly. I had keyhole surgery on the front thankfully and so this healed within days (some minor soreness where the stoma was created), but was opened up completely to remove my anus and rectum due to the site of one of the two tumours.The wound at the back was large and gruesome (I had the nurses take a photo for me!) and resembled a cornish pasty, with dissolvable stitches in two banks so that they dissolved in order. I was discharged after 6 days and I would advise to take the pain killers until you can wean yourself off them (I stopped completely by week 4). 

Although I have a high pain threshold, and had got myself in peak condition prior to the op, I was still shocked at how debilitating this surgery is, and was grateful for the support of my mum who cam e to live with me for a few weeks (I'd seperated from my fiancee).

Anyway, I was driving after 6 weeks albeit very gingerly! and life got back to normal pretty quickly.

Having a stoma is no problem (most of the issues are in the mind) and I named mine Eddie Stomart before the op, so that I could normalise it. All my friends, family, and clients (I'm a financial adviser) are aware of Eddie and his idiosyncracies (you cannot control when he passes wind!)

Once your stoma settles down you'll find that you can eat anything really and it's just a question of understanding the different implications of the likes of high fibre foods etc. I find wholemeal bread and vegetables move quickly!

I've recently started the self irrigation routine and although a little time consuming, this gives a level of freedom for around 24 hours that is welcome.

We all have different coping mechanisms and experiences, and although I have always been a pragmatic and positive chap, I'll admit that the decision to have the surgery was tough. I was 57 at the time, and physically very fit and active. Being told you'll die without surgery is a shock and i admit to being tearful at that time. However, I decided I would get through it, I would survive, and I absolutely would live a full and happy life once the cancer was removed.

You can get through this, you will support each other and live full and fulfilling lives together.

The alternative is "not an option"

Good luck and be positive. Negativity achieves absolutely nothing

Richard

• Thanks Richard 

Really great reply. Staying as positive as possible really helps fight Cancer

Grin

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Richard that's a really well thought out and helpful post and thanks also thanks to Artsie for involving you. 

Rather appropriate for me that the wound looked like a Pasty considering where I live. You may of seen the reply I had from Gavin which just shows the different reactions that people get at least I now have a sense of what outcomes are at different ends of scale I'm 70  and certainly not ready to depart this mortal coil yet so when my Oncologist told me the odds of Cancer returning and likely outcome of that I knew the surgical route was for me , I'd been told that was the probable outcome right from The first diagnosis. I am also a positive glass full sort as well. So even though I have a few problems with Arthritis and emphysema. I know I will get through it. I am still slightly unsure as to how my wife and I will manage having ops at the same time but nurses will come and help and some of our family live quite close to us , which will be handy  especially as neither of us will be up to taking our dog for walks for a couple of weeks. You must of recently had your second anniversary of your op so I hope life is returning to something like normality for you. I will post something on here after the ops as to how my experience went. So again Thank you for the info it's really helpful to hear other people's experience of these things, and I hope all continues to go well for you. Cheers Dave.