Hello, I'll be joining shortly!

• 21 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I'm waiting for a date for surgery - a cystectomy with urostomy, to hopefully rid me of the bladder cancer that originated in a kidney, that has already been removed.

Whilst I will no doubt have lots of learning to do to come to terms with the new arrangement for getting rid of liquid waste.

My main concern in terms of how this will impact on my life, is will I still be able to play golf with a stoma bag, hopefully securely attached to my body? Prior to the last year of health issues, I was playing 2 or 3 times a week. After the kidney removal and adjuvant chemo, I eventually got back on course, and was regaining my previous performance level.

So this latest set back is a major blow, stopping me from doing my main leisure pursuit, and obviously there is a concern that this may not be just a temporary cessation, if swinging a golf club is not compatible with maintaining a leak free status!

• The waiting is the worst. My mind was all over the place. It’s really tough to occupy yourself and concentrate. I was lucky with the garden. Do you think your physio would give you some gentle exercises?. I had pre op and post op exercises. They did give me a positive activity. I also listened to mindfulness type apps on my phone. They helped me relax. 
    Hope all goes forward quickly for you 

Ann
     ‍Art

• I can completely understand your frustration at being housebound when you feel fine. I  finished my 6 months of chemotherapy 3 days before the first lockdown. It was really hard being unable to see anyone. I had also felt fine during my treatment with just a couple of side effects. Then to not be able to celebrate the end of treatment was tough. The email telling me to shield seemed like a slap in the face. Hopefully you won't have too long to wait

Kim

Blackstuff
  • Artsie Ann and Kim - I'm, like most men I suppose, a Sportaholic! So I'm getting maximum value out of my Sky and BT Sport subscriptions. There is always footie, rugby, cricket and golf going on somewhere in the world. I've also taken the opportunity to work my way through my fairly extensive music CD collection. From Abba to ZZ Top, with all the letters of the alphabet in between.

Got some great stuff I forgot I had! I've even been buying a few good bargains on ebay to fill in some artists missing from the list, my little treat to myself! Set up the record deck the other day, ready for when I move onto the vinyl collection. I can't remember when these last saw the light of day!   

KidneyBeen

• Hi KidneyBeen. I revisited my music collection during my time at home too. I even found  a Def Leppard concert on YouTube that I was actually at!!

Little things like this seem to help keep you going.

Kim

Blackstuff
  • Hi KidneyBeen,My partner has lent me a record deck so I can play my old vinyl.Listening to music was important to me during the long recovery time.Jane

1. hi KidneyBean (love the name). Keep strong. Easy to say I know. One day at a time. I know that sounds inane or insane as my spellchecker insists on. I'm cheering you on. I know what's it like - one procedure or round of Chemo after another. Keep strong.
    2. I had Chemo and radiotherapy for rectal cancer followed by three ops. I somehow got CKD- chronic kidney disease but it's under control now . Just needed to keep hydrated especially with an illiostomy (my second op resulted in an illiostomy) as hydration so important. 
    3. Playing golf  - I'm sure you'll get back to it. 

Kath
    "don't think about tomorrow"

• Hello, KathH2 thanks for you message. You have certainly been through it big time!

I now have a provisional date for surgery of 11th January. So very mixed emotions, disappointed that I've got to wait longer than would probably be better, but also relieved that the ordeal is a little way off now!

It's going to be a very flat Christmas, in that I, with my loving wife, won't be able to see our children much, and the gorgeous grandchildren, as I need to be isolated from any risk of Covid infection. Also Great Granny will be in virtual lockdown in the care home, so likely can't come to us as was hoped! 

This is making it even worse for my dearest, as she has hardly seen her mum for so long, added to the concern for my wellbeing. Life can be really brutal at times!

I will take advantage of the opportunity, if I may to be very presumptuous, and ask for your opinion if I may. I am wondering what level of detail to share with the guys in the Golf Society, via our whatsapp group. I have told them that I have a bladder tumour, and require further surgery. But I haven't gone into any detail just what this entails.

Possibly too much information, however, I think it may actually help me to be open about the situation, rather than hide it! I may possibly have to empty the bag at some time during a round of golf at some point in the future, and I won't be able to just get my willie out behind a tree! 

KidneyBeen

• Hi KidneyBean  

I’m pleased for you that you have a date it means you can park it and concentrate on making the most of this Covid Christmas  Thought the last one was isolated  I’m two years now since hugging my little Irish grandchildren 

Are you able to see your golfing buddies outside for a chat  I was wondering if it would help you to tell close friends  it’s good to share and also less to tell now, before op  I left telling a couple of mine and they were aghast that I’d had so much going on without sharing at the time I was just concerned with getting it all done and didn’t think  Now the ones I didn’t tell don’t know  when asked how are you  I always copy my hubbys lead  “Good” ha ha he’s such a little liar  

To be honest I kept mine close to my chest then recently a lady in my village said to someone I know when they drove past my house. That lady in there got cancer! 
    Wow and I thought it was private. 
    So yes I would share your info with you close buddies. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi KidneyBeen,I’m glad you have an op date.You should have a couple of hours or so before you need to empty the stoma bag.There are some fellow golfers in the bladder cancer group plus people facing a cystectomy shortly.Those of us who have been through the op have been passing on advice and tips.Best wishes Jane

• hi KidneyBeen, it's a personal choice, most people where I worked didn't know I had a stoma but all my family and friends did. I felt comfortable answering questions - there's nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about and if it helps you why not tell them. Obviously if you want to keep it private do that. I developed a gallows humour as a coping mechanism. 

There's no presumption- this is the place to ask questions. You're going through a difficult time especially with Christmas and not being able to see your family.

I have a particular memory of making myself walk up and down the hospital corridor attached to various tubes and wires. I knew exercise was key to recovery and despite the pain pushed myself. Three ops meant lots of scar tissue which hurt as I was healing. In hospital as I passed the Nursing Station with my back bent they'd call out " Kathleen - straighten your back!". Immediately I'd smile, wave and make my back ramrod straight on my travels up the corridor. A nurse told me she'd broken her little finger but allowed it to curve as it was less painful that way. She said to me " you don't want a back (hunched and curved) like my finger" ( which had healed curved and crooked"). That really jolted me. I gradually managed three trips a day up and down that corridor and I felt proud of myself. From then on I walked tall. (I think Walk Tall is the song title of a very old song sung by Val Doonigan).

Kath
    "don't think about tomorrow"