Really struggling today

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

I broke down again now having a date set for surgery, i’m trying to take it on board, massive anxiety, feel sick at the back of the throat, just hope i don’t have a panic attack on the way. It’s the thought of being put under is one thing i’m struggling with.

Then there’s how you feel when you wake up, weird surroundings, aware of what’s been done to you, i wish i could cope with it better.

I know some people are a lot worse off, wish i could shake this my fears, i’m having a lower anterior resection 

• Hi  

It’s ok to be scared-it’s normal and very understandable-most of us are when faced with any kind of surgery and the fear of the unknown. 

In my experience, and I’ve had 4 general anaesthetics now, the anaesthetist will come and see you for a chat before surgery. They appreciate you are scared and will do their best to reassure you that you are in safe hands. They will explain what will happen and what will be done. I’ve asked them what drugs they were using and they were happy to explain them.  

Once you are taken to the theatre, the staff will keep chatting to you, distracting you from what is going on, before you are actually taken into theatre, as they set up the cannula to deliver the drugs. This might be our first experience of surgery but they are doing this all day every day as their day job, so they understand what they need to do to help keep us calm. 

Often you will be given a pre med first which relaxes you before the main anaesthesia. I have honestly been really unaware of when the anaesthesia was being administered-on all occasions I have literally gone out like a light! One minute you’re awake and chatting, the next moment (it feels) you are waking up.

For my biggest and longest surgery, I woke up very groggy and not really aware of where I was, and then was moved to the high dependency unit. I honestly don’t remember much at all about that as I was mainly drifting in and out of sleep and was there for 2 nights. Pain relief was delivered by a pump put into my hand which I could press. You can’t give yourself too much of that! I wasn’t sure exactly what had been done in my surgery but I remember touching my abdomen to see if I could feel stoma bags, because that would have indicated to me the operation had been successful. Once I felt them, I remember smiling and just going back to sleep. 

My most recent surgery was last September, and again I had lovely staff chatting to me in the prep room. I remember looking at the clock and it said 9.15am.  When I came to, the first thing I looked for was the clock and it was 1.15pm. I came round quickly and was moved back to the ward, where I was awake enough to sit up and have a cup of tea. There was no pain (I’d had my gallbladder out) and it was a very positive experience all round.

I think things are never as bad as our mind might make them feel to us. You literally don’t know anything about it. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Double G,

Sarah's description is spot-on. Place your trust in the professionals; they are there to make you better and know their business. If you are offered an injection in your back just prior to surgery it will make your recovery easier. Modern anaesthetics are quite remarkable (just imagine if they were not available).

Dulac

• Thanks for sharing your experience, i know i’m probably making a big thing out of nothing and it is as you say it is. Long suffered anxiety which is heightened in this current situation knowing i now have a date. Wish i could accept it and move forward.

• Yes, i’d like a pre med to chill myself out, and get to the point where i don’t know what’s going on. I’ve been told i’ll be waiting around from about 7:30 till 9 which isn’t ideal.