Going abroad

• 5 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Feeling very anxious about flying and the heat of when abroad. Does anyone have any advice for effects on stoma bag

• Evening Seymour,

I understand your concerns. However, having flown three return trips to Spain and the Canaries now you really have nothing to fear. I have two stomas.

Thinking it through I decided not to need to use the aircraft lavatory by avoiding excess food and drink before boarding. Use the conventional lavatory in the airport (a 'disabled' cubicle is more comfortable) to drain your systems before boarding. Ask the cabin staff for a seat belt extension if the standard one is too restrictive. Keep all of your stoma supplies in your hand luggage under the seat so you don't lose them. Tell the airport security team - without fuss - that you have a stoma before allowing them to pat you down if the scanner alarm should sound. They are very considerate. Be prepared for your hand luggage to be set aside once it has been scanned and remember that you can request a private room to answer any questions. Again, I have not had to do that and I carry round-nose scissors, hypodermic syringes, needles and insulin with me as well. Remember to make an honest declaration to your travel insurer. I did and they seemed to appreciate it by treating me most fairly. By the way, cabin pressure doesn't cause the pouch to explode!! Print out the foreign language advice note to security teams that you should be able to download from your supplier's website and take a recent NHS prescription with you to show that you are genuine.

The heat didn't cause a problem but remember to dry your skin completely before applying a new pouch. Sweat can affect adhesion. Treat swimming like a shower and don't immerse your pouch in water for too long.

Finally, relax and enjoy your holiday and repeat the actions for the home journey!

Best

Dulac

• Hi  

Lots of good advice there from  .

I travel abroad frequently with 2 stomas (urostomy and colostomy) and it can be much easier than you might imagine. I don’t find the heat affects either stoma in terms of adhesion, and if I am staying somewhere with my own pool I do tend to spend quite a lot of time in the water. 

I’ve found airport staff to be discreet and respectful-they are very used to people travelling with stomas. Sometimes I am patted down, and other times I’ve been taken to a private room with a female member of staff for a quick visual check.

I travel with more supplies than I think I will need-it’s better to have more than potentially run out. I have asked for an additional baggage allowance only once and received it with no issues. I do take some of my extra supplies in my case in the hold, but take most in my hand luggage to be sure I have them with me. 

I do have a coffee at the airport, and I eat and drink on the plane. I have only once needed to change my colostomy bag on the plane, but make sure before every flight I have empty bags before boarding. 

Being anxious, as I was before my very first flight, increased my output, but now I’m not anxious it’s much easier.

I hope you enjoy your holiday-I’m doing 4 this year-2 down and 2 to go and it becomes easier with each trip.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Good morning Dulac

Thank you so much for your kind response. All the information you provided has really put my mind at ease and I’m grateful for all those tips you supplied regarding the flight.

kind regards 

Seymour

• Hi Sarah

Thank you so much for replying.

Getting this advice and reassurance has really helped calm my anxiety.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays

Seymour x

• Hi Seymour

I’m glad you’ve been reassured by our replies to you. I understand your anxiety on a first trip, but hopefully it can be the first of many for you. I’ve gone as far as the Maldives without incident, and love my holidays! I’ve been determined not to let stomas stop me, and they don’t. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm