Anyone else suffering from lack of sleep due to emptying stoma bag in the night

• 22 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi everyone

Dont know if its the light mornings but Im really feeling the effects of lack of sleep through emptying my stoma bag in the night.not too bad if it happens whilst still dark but after dawn its hopeless getting back to sleep.

Probably no real answer, just needed to vent a little.

Kath

• Hi Kath

It’s horrible not to be getting enough sleep so I do feel for you with that. I suppose I'm lucky I don’t have to get up in the night to empty my bag with a colostomy, but I did waken up this morning with a pretty full bag which is very unusual for me. Not sure what the answer is, but it must be very tiring with these bright mornings not letting you get back to sleep. Is there anything you’ve tried diet wise before bed to thicken the output and save getting up?

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Sarah it is the light mornings causing the problem.my output is pretty thick as it is so dont really want to tweek that.calls for thicker curtains I think.

Kath

• I’ve actually stopped closing my curtains so I do waken early. Lucky I did today as it happens as the bag was about to come off! Also luckily I sleep in the back bedroom so no-one overlooks my window if I’m up and about in a state of undress! Black out curtain linings might help?

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Katz. I suppose I could say, been there, and still wearing the T Shirt. I'm not sure how long you have had a bag, I have had mine for 4 years now. For the first 2 to 3 years my best friend was my washing machine. My brain now wakens me up at 2, 3, or 4am to remind me to check my bag. Yes it's annoying but it's better than spending the day doing laundry. Getting back to sleep is an issue especially in the lighter mornings. I find lying in bed and playing patience on my phone helps me. After about 20 to 30 minutes I feel my eyes getting heavy. I realise this won't work for everyone, but other than going for a 5 mile run, this works best for me. Please don't start taking sleeping pills.

• Hi Biggles.Ive had "fred" for exactly 5 yrs today and touch wood,never had a leak.

Gosh I wouldnt resort to sleeping pills I was just having a bit of a moan with the light mornings.its a small price to pay for life.

You can probably tell I had a good sleep last night after watching the olympic opening ceremony till late.

All the best

Kath

• Hi Kath

It’s your 5 year stomaversary today! Congratulations and glad you got a good sleep last night. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thanks sarah.Its great to have got to 5yrs.many more to come hopefully

Kath

• Absolutely! I celebrate all these landmark dates and anniversaries-here’s to many more.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Happy stomaversary.Love Jane xx

• Thanks everyone.Think I need a cake or maybe a glass of wine.Wine glass

Kath