Stoma bag choices

• 14 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I've had a colostomy since Feb. I first had sensura mio bags, then switched to Salts Confidence Be as the adhesive on the sensura bags made my skin itch. (Confidence bags have aloe Vera in the adhesive which Is more gentle on sensitive skin). On the coloplast website there are sooo many different makes of bag but I can't find much in the way of user feedback on the differences between them. Anyone want yo say what you like or dislike about the bags you've tried??

• Hi  

With having 2 stomas, I’ve lost count of the number of products I’ve tried over the years!

I have an end colostomy but was first given drainable Sensura  Mio bags at the beginning when my output was more watery. I don’t like drainable bags personally-too much faff folding the end up and cleaning which wasn’t necessary once I had firmer output.

Now I use Salts Confidence B bags. I find them very neat and comfortable, and like the fact that they come in a range of colours. I don’t suffer any skin reaction with them and I’ve used them now for a long time.

For me trying different bags, my priority is the bag being neat and small and sitting flat to my skin.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Aquamarine

Like you, I have sensitive skin and allergies. I struggle with both Coloplast and Salts as they both cause severe itching and, with Coloplast, an angry rash too. It's a shame as I like the cover and emptying system on both (it's an ileostomy I have so I use drainable bags). 

After trying various other types of pouch I finally discovered Pelican Platinum with Vitamin E. Very comfortable and skin friendly. They're only available in beige and it would be nice if there was a colour choice but hey ho comfort over style any day. Stoma nurse was reluctant to prescribe initially as she said they were expensive but, as I receive absolutely nothing else on prescription, e.g rings, flange extenders, barrier sprays etc she relented. Three years in and I've not used anything else. Just hope they don't get discontinued!

• How do you get away with out the adhesive remover spray? I find that essential!

• Hi Aquamarine

It was never available to me on prescription right from the start. That was my then health board policy. So, I've always bought it myself. Luckily, as I don't use any additional "sticky on" products, I don't use much and a can lasts for ages. I was always taught to just spray a little on, then wait for a minute or so to let it run down. I probably use about 4 cans a year.

• Hello BlueBlue,

After my ileostomy the stoma nurse advised me to be sparing with the adhesive remover spray and I follow the same method as you, which works fine. It seems easier to hold the bag and pull the skin away from it rather than vice versa.

It is disappointing that you are refused essential items to manage your condition: a postcode lottery no doubt and shame on the authorities (it isn't their money). You should not be paying for these items out of your own pocket. Perhaps tell your MP - when you get one!

Have you tried Fusion applicators? They are large cotton wool bud-type sticks treated with a skin barrier and adhesive enhancer applied just prior to positioning the new bag. Since using them I no longer suffer from soreness. You should be able to request a free sample from your supplier.

Best,

Dulac

• Thanks  

Yes, I had heard of the Fusion Sticks and got some samples sent a couple of months ago. I don't generally have issues with stickability but used one before a flight for an extra belt and braces approach. And they certainly do stick!! Day to day though I find that less is best. So, just the Pelican pouch that I know is comfortable and doesn't irritate my skin. The prescription issue with the adhesive remover used to annoy me, but not now. Like you, I use adhesive remover very sparingly and the method works well, so no wastage. Compared to some other countries, when it comes to prescription stuff, I think we do OK in the main.

• Hi everyone, I am new on here and have been looking for a stoma forum. I hope I've found the right one. I need help regarding the adhesive on my stoma bags that I have off my NHS stoma nurse. They aren't strong enough and i've had the most terrible accidents in the night, absolute nightmares. I've only had my colostomy bag for 2 weeks, I had my operation on 30th June, so am just getting used to it. The accidents are making me so depressed. Is there something I can get off the internet that will be better than the NHS provide?

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

Yes, you are in the right group and I hope you’ll find it helpful to you. 

Things can be very difficult in the early weeks post surgery, and I do remember those leaks and bursting bags in the early days! However, there will definitely be a product out there which will help you. 

The stoma will still be settling down and changing as you heal, and you may need to try different bags until you find one which is best for you. You don’t need to buy anything online, you should be able to have a prescription for your supplies which are free.

My first recommendation would be talking to your stoma nurse and asking for suggestions for different bags to try-the nurse should be able to let you try different types till you find something your comfortable with which doesn’t leak. She can also recommend products which help with adhesion.

When you are settled with things and are ordering your own supplies via prescription, I can recommend 2 different products which I use which I’ve found really helpful. One is Independence Fusion Applicators-these are lollipop shaped little sticks which are impregnated with adhesive which you wipe on the skin around the stoma to help with the bag sticking.

The second thing is called Brave Elastic strips which are crescent shaped strips which go around the bag on either side once it is in place on your body.

Both of these products used together made a huge difference to me and are really good at keeping the bag in place which really increased my confidence.

As things settle down, I hope you’ll find everything easier to manage-I also used a waterproof mattress cover and puppy pads when required! 

Let us know if you need any other help, and all good wishes for your continued recovery.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Evening Sarah,

I entirely agree with your suggestions. The stoma nurse recommended them to me early on and I haven't had a problem since (over two years ago). At night I wear an oversized cotton tee shirt which allows movement when asleep without snagging the pouch on the bedding. I have two stomas - one on each side. It is important to prepare the skin before applying the adhesive bits. No soap or creams/moisturisers, just cold water and a dry wipe does the trick, followed by a Salts adhesive remover wipe prior to the Fusion stick.

Dulac

• Hi  

Very useful tips there, particularly about making sure the area is completely dry-very important!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum