Stoma fitted!!

• 16 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Why do people keep saying they have had a stoma fitted? A stoma is formed from what was already there. I keep hearing about people having a stoma bag fitted. No! A stoma has been formed, which means that you have to use a stoma pouch.  Also, they always say "colostomy bag". Not everyone has a colostomy,  personally I have a colostomy but others have ileostomy and urostomy. There needs to be more understanding of our situation 

• Thank you.that has always annoyed me too.Im not a piece of machinery which had a new part fitted.I had my stoma formed during my operation.It is part of me formed from me.No wonder people have trouble accepting their stoma when they dont understand its just part of their body which has been moved a bit.

Rant over.

Kath

• I know. Even Gill Castle, who regularly appears on TV, recently referred to having her stoma fitted! Whenever I hear this on TV, I can't help but say out loud "no, you had your stoma FORMED!!"

Rant added to 

Kim

Blackstuff
  • Hi Kim

Yes-I completely agree-we’re not getting an exhaust pipe put on! But I see it often too. And the “stoma bag fitted”, like it’s something that is never going to come off again.

There definitely needs to be more understanding-when I went to discuss having my gallbladder removed last year I saw my surgeon’s registrar. I was asking some questions about where the incisions would be if I had keyhole surgery as I have 2 stomas. He looked at me blankly and admitted he had no idea what a stoma was, and that’s a registrar! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• If even the medical profession dont understand what hope is there.

No wonder people new to it all are so worried and confused.

Kath

• Pretty scary for a registrar not to know, isn’t it Kath? In my own experience when getting my exenteration surgery, not once did anyone explain what a stoma was, or how it was formed. I did know, but you can see how people who don’t know anything about them could be confused with what’s actually involved.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah 

I recently had a colonoscopy and the nurse who booked me in told me to put the shorts on with the opening at the back. I explained that I would be having it through my stoma as that was the only way. She said they would probably do it that way but put the shorts on just in case. I had to tell her 3 or 4 times that the only way was through the stoma. She didn't seem convinced even when I told her I had APR surgery. What hope indeed!!

Kim

Blackstuff
  • How times have changed.when I trained as a physio many years ago we had a good basic knowledge of all this type of thing so that we would be aware of any problems when treating patients.

Kath

• Oh my goodness! A nurse came to my bed with rectal antibiotics and I said where do you intend putting them-I’ve had my rectum removed! She looked at me as if I were crazy…and she looked extremely doubtful I was telling the truth. It’s just astonishing really…

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• You’d think nurses would have basic knowledge-I’ve lost count of the times nurses have said oh, I see you have a catheter in. No, I don’t as I don’t have a bladder-it’s a urostomy!

Mind you, at last year’s pre op when I mentioned to the nurse I didn’t have a bladder, she said well it doesn’t say that in your notes! So, obviously I was wrong..Joy

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Don't be afraid to challenge the medical people if you know that they are wrong. Just be polite about it. I have on several occasions and they have broadened their knowledge base as a consequence. It's the same with any other professional.

Dulac