Dining with an Ostomate - "What I didn't find was any decent recipes for tasty meals to cook from scratch."

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I hope you don't mind me positing in here, but I wanted to share a Community News piece that might be of interest to any Ostomates out there.

Debbie, known to the Community as Jersey Lily, is an Ostomate. She’s also a real ‘foodie’, so off the back of a temporary ileostomy earlier this year, she found it difficult to find tasty and suitable recipes anywhere. Debbie though powered through an adapted a few of her favorite recipes, and discovered new ones suitable for an Ostmate.

This week Debbie’s shared with us a recipe for a fresh and health ‘Super Green Soup’, packed full of green goodness – and she's also shared a little more about her story.

You can find the piece here - enjoy!

Jimmy

Community Team

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi all,

Me again, popping into the group to share another 'Dining with an Ostomate' piece from our resident 'Ostomate chef', Debbie. This week she discusses how she reintroduced fruit into her diet, and shares with us two rather tasty smoothie recipes.

You can find the piece here.

Enjoy the long weekend!

Jimmy

Community Team

• Yes, I've had a stoma for a couple of years and enjoy most foods.

Unfortunately, many chefs are too clever for their own good and the way they present some dishes just makes things difficult. Always the odd mushroom or sweetcorn "mixed in" otherwise perfectly good meals. Also, even salads are more difficult unless ingredients are separated.

I still enjoy mushrooms, nuts, sweetcorn and so on but these have to be blended first.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to JohnnyJ

Hello all,

I'm just popping into the group this morning to share another 'Dining with an Ostomate' piece from our resident 'chef to the Ostomates', Debbie, who this week shares with us a tasty looking butternut squash and sage risotto recipe. We've also highlighted the benefits of eating this pear-shaped treat.

“Squash is easily digested from early on as an Ostomate, and makes a nice change from carrot or parsnip!” (Debbie)

You can find the recipe here.

Enjoy!

Jimmy

Community Team

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi all,

It’s time for another Dining with an Ostomate post – this week Debbie shares with us a DELICIOUS AND SIMPLE ‘Chicken and squash gratin’ recipe. It features the immune boosting, vitamin and fibre-packed butternut squash; and chicken breasts for an added protein punch.

Find it here.

Jimmy

Community Team

• FormerMember

Hi all,

Debbie's back with another tasty dish – she's shared with us a tasty, nutritious and easy-to-make 'Carrot and ginger soup' recipe.

"Ginger is well known for being an aid to nausea, so this soup is ideal for anyone suffering from nausea during chemotherapy. It contains vitamin C and B6, lots of minerals and helps to reduce inflammation." (Debbie)

Enjoy,

Jimmy

Community Team

• FormerMember

Hi all,

We’re well and truly into Summer now, and Debbie – our ‘Chef to the Ostomates’, is back to talk to us about her favourite fresh, seasonal vegetables, and also to share with us a rather delicious ‘Courgette and mozzarella bake'. Fine it here.

Enjoy,

Jimmy

Community Team

• Hi everyone, 

Debbie our - 'Chef to Ostomates' is back with a wonderfully warming recipe for roasted tomato and basil risotto for those chilly autumn days. Find it here

Enjoy, 

Rachel 

Macmillan's Community Team

• Hello,

Thank you for this post. 

I was recently admitted to hospital with a bowel obstruction and was told to eat "light meals". I spoke to a couple of stoma nurses who treated me like I was stupid and didn't tell me anything. I wasn't referred to a dietician and I saw my GP 3 weeks and he has only referred me to a dietician over the weekend. So none of them have been of any help. 

This post will certainly help me.

Thank you,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• Hi everyone, 

As the weather is getting colder Debbie our 'chef to ostomates' is back today with two wonderful pasta recipes for those chilly winter evenings. Find the recipes here

Enjoy, 

Rachel 

Macmillan's Community Team

• Hi,

Regarding my previous message.

I have received a diet sheet and my light meals are different to what I was previously told to eat by stoma nurses. 

The light meals are white bread and pasta, smooth soups and yogurts, anything like quiches or omelettes and the main and my favourite is chocolate, as long there is isn’t any fruit or nuts. Most vegetables are fine as long as they are skinned but not a lot fruit but the fruit can be taken in smooth orange juice form. Tea and plain water fine as is Ovaltine and Horlicks.

I guess we are all different for all sorts of varied and wide reasons. The change in my diet is because of a recent small bowel obstruction due to scar tissue.

Love to you all,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx