Ileostomy and probiotics/supplements

• 5 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hey there 

I've an a temporary ileostomy for about 3 weeks. And my surgeon has said that probiotics are unlikely to be absorbed by my system. I am currently on my second lot of antibiotics because of infections in my tummy wounds. It's probably more antibiotics I've had in my entire 38 yrs. I used to take strong probiotics pre surgery and lots of other supplements. But what's the deal ? I am concerned about my gut health and microbiome but no-one in the colorectal department seems to think it's important which is rather frustrating! So what's the deal?!

Thanks in advance 

• Looks like I'm going to have to secure the services of a nutritionist! 

Mags x
    "Every time we honour our own struggle and the struggles of others by responding with empathy and compassion, the healing that results affects us all" - Brene Brown, Rising Strong
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Magsarama

Hi 

I am so sorry that I am unable to help with your question but would suggest that it might be beneficial for you to repost your question in the Ask a Nurse group as the nurses there might be able to help you with an answer.

Apoligies for not being able to help on this occasion but I'm sure one of the experts will be able to.

Ian

• HI

After I had surgery last summer which resulted in a temporary ileostomy my surgeon recommended drinking kefir which has lots of good bacteria in it. Also live yogurt is recommended for all sorts of things if you look in some of the post surgery diet sheets. 

Gut health is important but perhaps your medics had other concerns uppermost in their minds when you spoke to them. 

I have seen a dietitian at the MacMillan Wellness Centre in our hospital and was referred by the colorectal nurse. 

Good luck. 

Liz x

Everything is rosy in the garden. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh dear oh, it's interesting that the medical profession has no concept of nutrition probiotics Etc. It's troublesome and quite concerning. Our gut microbiome is so important. I've had a colostomy since June 2018. It was an emergency surgery to remove a tumor. I will be reversed the mid April. But a ileostomy has to be formed while the reconnection heals. This really concerns me about getting the ileostomy. Regarding healthy living and eating and probiotics trust your own instinct and take a good probiotic and hope that some good bacterial will form even though you have all of this antibiotic. I'm wishing you the very best and hope that you get back to us regarding anything that you learn of value. I am quite interested in this.

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.