A really runny stoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 32 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can offer me some advice. I had a total colectomy in Nov 2016, and I've been recovering really slowly. One of my main issues is a high output stoma, producing what looks just like brown water.

What concerns me is that I have been prescribed imodium to thicken it up - and whilst in the hospital it worked fantastically. At home though, it seems to have no effect. I have been told I can have up to 32 mg of the drug, so it doesn't appear to be a case that I'm taking insufficient quantities.

In terms of diet I am trying to follow advice from my dietician, and I am having fortisip protein drinks as prescribed.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Kindest regards,

A man who claims to be tall.

• Hello,

Sorry to hear about your out put being runny.

Mine was like that and my doctor prescribed loperimide. It thickens your out put.

Sorry I can't give you any diet advice  (as I lost a lot of weight and I have to put weight back on), my stoma nurse once told me to eat marshmallows or jelly babies. I am sure other members on this site will be able to offer far better diet advice than myself.

Thank you and take care,

Lisa

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi BIg man

Having a runny watery output is not pleasant and apart from the output problems it cause other problems with regard you the life of your appliances.

Most dieticians look at your diet as a means to keep you healthy but we ostomates have different dietary needs which require us to eat foods that might not be considered healthy.

One of the most effective ways to deal with liquid output is to make a few dietary changes or modify the way you eat. Keeping your meals and beverages separate, or drinking throughout the day (rather than in one sitting) can help.

The following foods are also known to thicken ostomy output:

• Starchy foods like pasta, potatoes, rice, white bread
    • Crackers
    • Crisps (also replaces salt)
    • Applesauce
    • Bananas (especially when underripe and without spots)
    • Nut butters (peanut, almond, sunflower seed, etc)
    • Oatmeal
    • Fish and Chips from the chippy

Most of these foods can be considered healthy, although don’t depend too much on the white bread, white pasta or chips if you don’t need to. 

In the same way some foods can cause your output to be watery because they pass through you so quickly that the output does not have time to thicken up. Even the wrong type of fibre can cause problems.

Whilst eating marshmallows and jelly babies might slow down your output down for the term.

Possible causes of watery output include certain foods such as:
    • Spicy food• Beans
    • Peas • Chocolate
    • Prunes • Spinach
    • Raw fruit
    Other factors could include

alcohol consumption, tea and coffee

stress or an underlying medical condition.

Medications

As usual I suggest starting a food diary and recording everything you eat and drink throughout the day including snacks and noting your output this may help to pin point anything that is causing your output to be watery. If after a few days you establish foods or drink that could be causing the problem and avoid then for a few days. This doesn't mean that you can't have these foods on the future but is an exercise to establish any link between eating and output. It is important to record everything even the sneaky biscuit you have between meals.

You could try the various items that you insert into your pouch to see if they will thicken up the contents in your pouch - if you search the dup pliers websites you will find a list of products that claim to thicken up the pouch contents but I suspect this us not what we are trying to achieve here as you want your poo to be thick(er) before it reaches your pouch.

It must be very distressing for you having to cope with this especially as you are only 2 months in. It might be that your system is taking a bit longer to settle down after the operation which we should remember is that you have had major surgery and can be a shock to our bodies.

Please do keep coming back if you need more help but it would also be nice to hear if your output becomes "normal" and how you managed it.

Good luck and best wishes.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LisaCardiff

Hello Lisa,

Thank you for taking time to reply - I myself am on loperamide, but for whatever reason it's just not having the great effect on me that it does on a great many others.

Great news on the jelly babies - my fave!

All the best,

Alex

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Ian,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply, you've provided me with a wealth of information and I appreciate that greatly. 

In terms of an update, I'm still in a very similar position to where I was when I originally approached this group. As demoralising as it is, I am trying my hardest to keep on top of my hydration levels, but I seem to have developed increasing fatigue of late. Fortunately I am seeing my surgical consultant on Monday for a review.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch. 

Best wishes,

Alex

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Alex

Please remember that you have had major stomach surgery and you are still recovering so it is not usual to feel tired.

If you can try and grab an afternoon siesta.

It can take a longish time for you to be 100% fit just take it easy and take one day at a time and above all try not to worry too much, don't try to do to much. 

Stress and worry can effect our bodily functions and perhaps is the cause of your watery output.

So relax take things easy buy the largest bags of marshmallows and jelly babies you can find.

Seriously though have you spoken to your stoma care nurse who might be the best option for you she might just have the miracle cure for you.

You could ask your GP to prescribe a 

different type of antidiarrhoeal medicine

Good luck with the review.

Ian

• Hi Alex,

Sorry the loperimide is not doing it's job. Grrrrrr!.

If it's any help, my stoma nurse also said to try (baby food version) apple crumble. She said a lot of her patients swear by it. I have some in the fridge, on standby.

Like Ian ssid grab a bag of marshmallows and enjoy yourself. I am glad you like jelly babies.

Please let us know how you get on with your consultant and if anymore hints and tips, please tell us.

Kind regards and take care,

Lisa x 

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• Hi, 

My stoma output is runny. I drink a lot of water, as I had kidney failure nearly two years ago. My kidneys are functioning well, as far as I can tell. I eat regularly. I take loperimide. I  really don't know what to do. It seems beyond me.

I have had 4 major surgeries in a 6 month period. I know it can a while for my body to settle down. But I seem to have more bad days than good. 

Had anyone got ideas on how to thicken my output.

Thank you,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember

Hi Lisa 

Perhaps if you could let us know what your daily diet consists of and when you eat during the day we could try and work out if we can make suggestions, additions or reductions to your menus.

Also let us know how many meals a day do you have.

Include all drinks, vegetables, sauces etc.

The foods we eat determines our output 

If you are on any type of medication look at package leaflet and see if it could effect your output.

Ian

• Hi Ian, 

Thank you for getting back to me. Here is what I eat and drink.

Breakfast: 2 pieces of white toast and 1 cup of coffee.

Mid morning snack: 1 packet of salted crisps and 1 cup of coffee.

Lunch: (normally) ham sandwich on 2 pieces of white bread and 1 packet of cheese and onion crisps.

Mid afternoon snack: (normally) A bar of chocolate and 1 cup of coffee.

Tea: Belly pork, noodles, onions and chips or something similar.

Supper: 2 pieces of white toast.

4 to 5 500 mls of water, through out the day. Which I need for my kidneys and to retain my kidneys function.

I don't drink alcohol either.

I hope this helps,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember

Hi Lisa

Try some porridge, 4 dessert spoons with a mug of cold water, 3 mins in the microwave in a big jug, serve with a little milk poured over, honey and Cinnamon.

Have a banana sandwich, maybe with a little smooth peanut butter.

Maybe some cream crackers as a snack.

Don't know if these suggestions will help but worth a try.

I have had the cough virus and the doctor gave me antibiotics called doxycycline they have given me a week of stomach ache and the runs.

Hope your tum calms down soon.

Linda x