A really runny stoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 32 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can offer me some advice. I had a total colectomy in Nov 2016, and I've been recovering really slowly. One of my main issues is a high output stoma, producing what looks just like brown water.

What concerns me is that I have been prescribed imodium to thicken it up - and whilst in the hospital it worked fantastically. At home though, it seems to have no effect. I have been told I can have up to 32 mg of the drug, so it doesn't appear to be a case that I'm taking insufficient quantities.

In terms of diet I am trying to follow advice from my dietician, and I am having fortisip protein drinks as prescribed.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Kindest regards,

A man who claims to be tall.

• Hi Linda,

Thank you for giving me some ideas about improving my output. I will give them a try.

It has settled down but I am feeling a bit sick today. I don't know why.

I hope your cough virus gets better. I hope the runs and your stomach aches stops.

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LisaCardiff

Hi Lisa

You should investigate foods with SOLUBLE FIBRE and introduce them into your diet. SOLUBLE FIBRE absorbs water and help to thicken up output.

Would substitute chocolate  (sorry) for a banana or an apple.

Crackers and cheese makes a good snack

Coffee can make your output thin.

Each meal should have an element of protein and starch included.

Onions not so good.

Our problem is that the foods that we should eat to be healthy includes foods that effect our output, finding the happy medium is the hard part coupled with the fact that the food you eat today causes no problems could be the food you eat tomorrow with problems.

Afraid no easy solution except to keep smiling as you endlessly empty to bag.

Ian

• Hi Ian,

Thank you for your giving me some ideas to try. 

I don't like bananas or apples. I have high potassium too.  

Linda mentioned porridge. I will give that a try.

My stoma isn't very active. It goes from one extreme to another.

Must go, I have bought a hair dye and I am doing a patch test (on my arm) and the whiff of peroxide is making my eyes and little strange. I put too much peroxide in the mix. It clears one sinuses.

Love from,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LisaCardiff

What about applesauce?

Rice pudding 

Tapioca pudding 

Risotto with chicken or meat pieces added.

Chippie Fish and chips thickens me up no end have to pull the pouch contents out with a hook, no fun as the odour can be overwhelming. 

Milk and lactose can cause output problems 

Don't eat the hair dye it could make your output a strange colour.

Ian

• Hi Ian,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I do have a fruit crumble (a baby's version), so I'll try that.

I think we'll being having something from the chip shop over the weekend. I'm not bothered about the odour, as I haven't got a sense of smell. 

I don't like rice pudding or tapioca. I will tell my mum about the risotto.

The patch test for the hair dye seems to be fine. Have washed off the mix and peroxide off my arm. I have to wait 48 hours to see if there could be a reaction. But it has cleared my sinuses and I can breath a lot better. Maybe when I colour my hair, it may fix my sense of smell. I'll let you know how I get on.

Love ya,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My next suggestion was to try PROBIOTIC foods to see if they would help but when I referred to my schoolboy scrapbook of ostomy facts I discovered that although many claims are made about the benefits to taking this type of food they often don't live up to facts and claims on the label.

Like everything else the effect of the good and bad bacteria in the gut could vary from person to person.

It might be worth a shot and have a few yoghurts that are labelled PROBIOTIC and see if they make any difference, you might NOT but on the other hand you may just strike gold.

Ian

Or maybe just stick with

plain live yoghurt with live cultures or bacteria in them, much cheaper less fancy packaging and less marketing 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Try Yeo Valley natural yogurt, comes in a green pot, I find it settles things down, a nice taste, not to sour.

Linda

• Dear Ian and Linda,

Thank you both for your replies. I feel such a nuisance.

I will get my dad to get some yogurt. 

It is trail and error. Some foods you think are good/okay, then turn on your.  It was probably the same before we all had our stomas, speaking for myself I have tended to have forgotten that, but I don't forget the constipation. 

Kind regards,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx

• Hi 

I have similar problem with watery output in spite of mega proportions of loperamide - 6 capsules before each meal and before bed.  Plus codeine before each meal.  Eating the right stuff per this mail chain and restricted to 1.5 litres of water which also has to cover dioralyte 5 Times a day

I also guzzle marshmallows, jelly babies etc

It’s early days (couple of weeks) but it’s certainly a trial

Any new initiatives welcome

• Glad to have found this forum

I had small bowel lymphoma - cured we think via chemo - but a fistula was found that perforated and left me in hospital for 5 weeks eventually emerging with dehydration and a (hopefully at future date) reversible stoma and with a shortened bowel

Out of hospital this week trying to control very loose stoma output albeit variable!  Taking 5 lots of loperamide each of 6 tabs! Plus codeine 4 Times a day.  Marshmallows and jelly babies in the mix.  Limited to 1.5 litres water which is pretty much used up by 5 dioralyte double sachets in 200mm of water 

Dehydration appears under control as dry overnight mouth not so bad - but stoma output a worry - maybe 6 or 7 pouches (not full but heavy with watery gubbins) a day

Hopefully it will settle.  Blood check up at hospital tomorrow - hope kidneys and  bloods ok - I can’t take another session of fluids IV and hospital stay.  So following all your helpful steers and hoping for the best - early days I guess