BOB JK My diary of kidney cancer (to be continued)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4509 replies
  • 4 subscribers
Hi, My name is Bob and I live in Cambridgeshire. I am married with an 8 yr old daughter and three older step sons. Up untill the end of last year everything was tickety boo having recently moved to a new house which we love. Work was busy but enjoyable. I am Manager of an electrical companys maintenance department and my Wife, Linda was enjoying her job as a Nurse. The three boys are buying there own house nearby and all work locally.
In November I went to my Doctors with a small "cyst" on my chest. After a couple of referals and many Xrays, pet scans, bone scans and CT scans I was told the news everybody dreads. My lump on the chest was a secondary cancer of which the primary was in my left Kidney. I was fast tracked to the Royal Brompton, under the expert care of Mr Laddas who informed a long and complicated operation would need to be carried out to remove the bone tumor and surrounding bone which involved two ribs,my collar bone and chest bone. I did not have time to panic, the operation was carried out the next day over 10 hrs. After nearly two weeks in the Brompton I am recovering well from this op but I have since been told that the Cancer is in both kidneys as well as small mets in both lungs. It seems at the moment further ops are out the question and i have been put on the drug Sutent. I am one week into this and so far so good. I do not know what the future holds but I have to remain positive.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    good for you bob lots of love to you and your family. i hpe you remain well

lorna x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi everybody, I would like to use this discussion to help me and hopefully to help others. As you can see from my ist posting my illness has been very quick and so it is only now that I am having the time to think things through (and worry) about the future. Please feel free to butt in and share your thoughts and experiences with me. today, at present I am awaiting a phone call from the Royal Marsden regarding the results of my histology on my now removed chest tumor and also the resuls of a full bone scan I had last week. I am trying so hard to remain positive but a sixth sense, which this time I hope is wrong, tells me that more bad news awaits me.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    oh bob i hope you are wrong you sound like you have been to much already my mum only just found out 25th jan she hasn't even seen her consultant yet (gp told her she had cancer!) we go on thurs to see oncologist too. it has all happened so fast. how do you deal with the unknown bob?
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Leicester. thanks for your messages I suppose the answer is we all deal with it in our own way. Phone call never happened last night so I assume I will get call later today. the time is something after 2.00 in the morning and yet again I cannot sleep. The worst thing about this is that your mind has time to run amock and concoct all sorts of endings to the unknown. I still remain positive, I have to. I have a wife that needs her hubby, An 8 yr old that desperately needs her daddy and three step sons, who bless them, look as they are carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders. I am one of the lucky ones. the support from my family and freinds has been overwhelming and humbling.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Bob, why does this always happen when things finally start to go tickety boo? been reading your posts this morning, I hope your phone call arrives today and I hope that the news is better than you think, Heidi xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    I too would like to add my voice to the wish that the phone call will come with some hopeful news. Best wishes Bob from Charles
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    08:25 12 feb 08

metastatic RCC

from micky333

were hanging in there 4 u Bob, ur on Sutent same as me, i'm coming upto my first rest period which lasts for 2 weeks, ( unfortunately my metastatic spread got through to my brain so i'm having neurosurgery to remove that), Bob watch out for headaches as that was the only indication that it had reached my brain and the subject of my headache came-up in a conversation i was having with my Oncologist, and i just happened to mentioned it, he sent me for referal to another Oncologist who arranged an brainscan. my friend i'm not trying to be pessamistic but listen to ur body it often tells u things that no Dr can pick-up.

You sound so positive in the way u r handling this, i' thinking of you

Micky333

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    morning bob

would just like to add my hopes for you phone call being positive -- my thoughts and a special prayer are with you for today and always

marion
    xxxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Good Morning to everybody many thanks for all your support., you all seem like old friends and it is so good to hear from you. I feel pretty good considering lack of sleep. I find this so usefull because if I talk to my family about how my thoughts dip up and down , it scares them that I am not remaining positive. They are so scared that they cannot recognise that you have to go through this range of emotions and by venting them on computer like this, you are dealing with it. my way of dealing with Cancer is to know exactly what I am dealing with, Then I/we can face it head on. its so good to hear from you Leister,Heidi, charles and of course miicky. How are you all doing and coping. are things a bit more settled for you Micky? Speakto you all again soon.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Just a quick update before I try to sleep. The dreaded , promised phone call never came and usually I would think no news is good news. I will be chasing results tomorrow as I need to know what I am dealing with, Then I can fight it. try to sleep well everyone.