Is this what is called rallying?

• 1 reply
  • 22 subscribers

Hi

My Mum is 73yrs and is on palliative care with no treatment apart from pain relief etc. She has Stage 4 bowel cancer and significant spread to the liver. At the end of August the consultant said mum has a couple of months maybe longer. She's in a care home as she also has hydrocephalus from a previous sub arachnoid haemorrhage. Since the appointment at the end of August she has become more fatigued. A relative visited Mum yesterday and couldn't believe how  good Mum was! Like we'd gone back a year! She was amazing! It's almost like they've got the diagnosis wrong!? I know they haven't but it's so bizarre! I've heard of the term 'rallying' in terminally  ill patients...is this what it is? Does anyone have a similar situation? I want to think Mum has made a huge improvement and is getting better but with the prognosis I doubt that Worried

• Hi  

Sorry your mum is going through so much. In my experience many people have good days and not so good days and it can be very difficult to know exactly what is happening.

Sometimes I have seen carers say that when someone different comes around it seems their loved one makes a special effort but find it seems like they threw all their energy into a little time and then fall back later. The same ever happens sometimes when the doctors visit.

IT is hard and I hope you manage to find time yo look after yourself too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge