Feeling helpless

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

Feeling so helpless. We found out that my mother’s ocular melanoma had metastasised in October. She was told she had around 12 months. She has been so strong despite more hurdles being put in her way It’s suddenly dawned on her how much she’s deteriorated over the past few months and she said “it’s getting closer”. She’s absolutely devastated. She frustrated her body isn’t letting her do the things she once could and that her life is being ripped away from her when she’s not ready. I feel so helpless, I cannot take her sadness away. We have often used humour as a way to cope and deal with the difficult situations but even that is now failing Disappointed

• Hi  

Dealing with emotions can be really difficult but sometimes I find recognizing them and acknowledging them as real and right can help to rob them of a sense of power over us. That feeling of helplessness you have is really very common as are a whole range of emotions we can see in your feelings when someone has cancer.

My wife never wanted a prognosis and I really struggled with that. It is of course worth noting they are at best a guess based on averages and based on historic data rather than current treatments so are sometimes not very helpful. 

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge