Support

• 7 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi

My Dad is currently in hospital with secondary liver cancer and jaundice. I am going in every day to visit him with my mother but I am starting to find it very difficult and am struggling mentally and emotionally. I have been off work for a week and am due back next week but I really don’t know if I can cope so am starting to stress about this as well. It is just all getting too much. Everyone keeps telling me to take time out for myself but I don’t know how to do that when I am in the hospital every day.

Has anyone felt the same? Could anyone offer me some advice on how to cope with it all.

Thanks

• Hi Bridget, 

No advice I'm afraid as I'm like you, really struggling, feeling completely lost and numb - and my mum only got her diagnosis 5 days ago.

Sending love x

• Hi Nikki

I am so sorry for your news. You don’t know how much of a struggle it is until it actually happens to you. Your Mam will receive good care tho from what we got at the beginning of the diagnosis. It’s just the relentless hospital visits that gets to you.

Sending you both love and care. Keep in touch with the forum.

• Hi, I can't offer any advice only that you are not alone, my husband was diagnosed last November with incurable bowel cancer, he was operated on and spent 2 weeks in hospital. Trying to cope with a stressful job as well as the worry is too much sometimes, I had a melt down at work last week so took some time off, but not wanting to let anyone down is so difficult and added pressure. Do try to look after yourself. Nancy x

• Thank you Nancy.

I have taken this week off work as well as I am still finding it hard. You do just feel as though you are letting people down though 

Take care of yourself and I hope your husband is getting stronger. xx

• She's getting ridiculously good care. Our appointment yesterday they said they needed further MRI scan to confirm some things, and they've just booked it in for Friday - I thought it'd be weeks of waiting. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's the waiting I'm struggling with most! X

• You don’t want to be waiting around for scans etc. I found that they acted really quickly and kept us informed really well. With the waiting it’s the over thinking that goes with it. The past few weeks I have found myself taking everything one day at a time…not looking ahead or else I panic and making sure that every day I spend at least an hour doing something I enjoy….reading,running etc. 
    Take care.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your dad, it is so hard when a loved one is in hospital, totally get how I felt in similar circumstances with my wife while I was still trying to balance work, family and my wife.

I ended up walking in to the local Maggies centre and they helped me realize that work had to go on the back burner for a while and my GP was supportive of that and was very helpful. We do have some pages here on your emotions when someone has cancer that show how normal these emotions can be.

I did a living with less stress course that really helped me. I was spending lots of time working out "what if's" for things I had no control of and might never happen and that blocked me appreciating whet we have in the here and now.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge