Bile Duct Obstruction

• 2 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello Everyone 

Thanks for reading my post!

My lovely Mum is currently going through tests. She has a lung condition which she has had for 4 years. She was admitted to hospital with a regular bout of pneumonia at end of March. They performed a CT to check her blood clots as she has been living with small clots for about a year. At the bottom of the CT they noticed her bile duct was enlarged. They said it was nothing to worry about.

After discharge from hospital she received a letter calling her for another CT and had that on 12/4. This time on the abdomen and pelvis. Within 4 days another letter arrived and this time for an MRCP. I called the ward she was on and spoke to the registrar. The MRCP was arranged by the radiologist as they saw an obstruction in the bile duct. She’s had the MRCP this morning so I guess we now wait. 

The registrar has advised us to request a cancer referral. They had discharged her from the ward so at the minute nobody is leading her care. We have a GP appointment this week.

The positive thing is there is no pain or jaundice. She has lost weigh though. She said she has been dieting but I’ve seen my Mum diet and this is a completely different look of weight loss. Her face looks so gaunt. She is also suffering bad constipation. She has always suffered this but it got so bad recently that she could not empty her bladder and has been fitted with a catheter temporarily.

Hoping this is a gallstone that has lodged or infection but will wait now

• Hi  

Fingers crossed that it is something less serious but good to see it being looked at in case it is something else. Waiting though is very difficult so hope you get this checked out before too long.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you! I’m keeping my fingers crossed: I called the hospital after the MRPC as they said to Mum they would let her consultant know the results and they would be in touch. She had been discharged so has no consultant but now told  she does have one although I can’t find him listed anywhere. They had previously said she didn’t have one and to request a cancer referral on the 2 week pathway. Just hate how it is all disjointed.

She has had a few episodes of dizziness and immediately vomiting which is brown, acid reflex, weight loss and loss of appetite. Could be so many different things