New to this - supporting only parent - balancing new relationship

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

Hey, so my dad got diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer over Christmas and it's been really hard at times.

I don't live near him or drive so havent been able to visit as much as I would have liked but I've also felt really scared and sad at times. I'm a very emotional person as it is, I have autism and ADHD aswell as fibromayalgia. I lost my mum when I was 10 years old in an accident and I've ended up leaning on my partner alot for support at times. He's really struggled with this, not that he doesn't care but it's made him worry a lot that he isnt doing enough and also with how emotional I can get and when I have pain or health flare ups. I recently had a nasty virus which affected me for a whole month and made me a hermit so I wasn't seeing friends, mostly my partner and its safe to say I've leant too much as he has his own life and we have only been together just 5 months or so. I really don't want a breakup on top of having a poorly parent but I do need emotional support, as it'll be a while before the close is clear. 

My dad is having chemo, having his dose upped recently and we are currently waiting on the results of his first pet scan since starting treatment. I guess what I am seeking is support and advice, how I can help ease my anxiety without tarnishing my relationships and so there can still be a healthy balance. 

Thank you in advance.

• Hi  

You have been through such a lot just recently I totally get why anyone would feel anxious. Talking to someone can be very helpful but I get to how that being someone close can feel difficult. Working through things on here can help but can take a lot of time in between replies.

One thing that really helped me was when I walked in to my local Maggie's centre and was able to talk about my feelings and my fears. Our phone line here can also be very helpful for a quick fix.

Worrying about a scan is something very common, we often refer to this as scanxiety but when we look deeper we can realise no amount of worry is going to change the result and often the outcome is good.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge