Prostate cancer final stages

• 4 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My brother has terminal prostate cancer which we’ve just learnt has spread to his lungs and bones. The prognosis is 3 months.  He lives alone and has a fall at home 2 weeks ago. Since then he’s been in hospital. They’ve tried to help him regain his mobility a few times without success.  He was discharged to from a medical ward to a smaller community hospital currently awaiting assessment. He does realise he can’t realistically return home and have the level of care he needs. We’ve found an ideal nursing home which offers end of life care. We’re hoping they’ll be able to meet his needs. He desperately wants to regain some Mobility though - even just to visit the toilet on his own.  Are we being unrealistic considering it gone to his bones? He doesn’t need any pain relief yet. 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read about your brother's prognosis and it's natural to have questions.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums so I hope you don't mind me recommending that you also join and post this question in the prostate cancer forum as you'll then connect directly with others who may have a similar diagnosis to your brother.

If you'd like to join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your brother's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Sisterlylove32 and welcome, i too have terminal prostate cancer and am on the prostate cancer forum, which along with Latchbrook would recommend you join, they really are an amazing group of men and women who will help you in any way we can. I'm happy you have a good nursing home for your brother, and he will also have access to the palliative care team and a physiotherapist to hopefully get him mobile again, and you are not being unrealistic, that your brother has no pain is a positive sign regarding him walking again. PS the palliative care team are there to support your brother and make him comfortable and better able to make the most of what time he has. I know how tough this is for you, but well done in reaching out for support, I hope to see you on the prostate cancer forum, take care.

Eddie

• No thank's necessary, but appreciated. I have also looked after family "mum", with terminal cancer and know how hard it is for the carer, especially emotionally, so please don't forget to look after yourself too, best wishes to you both.

Eddie