New Diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hello everyone 

My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 advanced cancer 2 weeks ago. It’s in her lungs, spine and breast and currently undergoing tests in her abdomen area.

My heads in a spin at the minutes with a million questions going through my mind.

They said it’s not curable but treatable? What does that mean?

How long will she have? I’m trying to be the strong one but taking over caring for her whilst balancing a full time job is hard and stressful

Any advice by anyone going through similar would be a great help 

• Hi, i have the same as your mom. Its all a bit of a shock at the moment and it will take time to sink in. When they say its treatable but not curable they mean there are many types of chemo that can prolong your mom life. I have been on treatment now for 4 years and have been well. Not all chemo makes you feel unwell and many of us lead a perfectly normal life on chemo. Nobody knows how long someone has there are some on here who are in your moms situation and have been having treatment for 12 years or more. Please dont think its the end there is plenty of help out there,

• Thank you for your response 

we have a meeting tomorrow with her consultant to find out the results of the biopsy and ct scan on her abdomen. 
    We are dreading it but all mum wants to know is when they can start treatment she’s being so strong and positive!

Im glad to hear that treatment as been keeping it bay and hope it stays that way for you Blush

I suppose we’ll know more tomorrow and are just taking it one day at a time 

• Oh Kevin85, I'm so sorry to hear your news- it all sounds very raw and I remember it like yesterday receiving such news. Utilize your support team, mum's oncologist, macmillan nurses etc, they can help you make sense of it all. Take comfort and strength from your mum's bravery and courage. We are all here for you also. Sending warm wishes