Respite care for nasty side effects?

• 4 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My Dad had 20 round of radiotherapy to his lungs stage 3 and then a Zap to the brain for some small lesions that spread, he is not doing very well at present due to not eating, and pain in his head is very bad, he has been offered respite care at hospice, has anyone had a positive outcome from this? Hopeful side effects will ease off or is likely this is a rapid decline with the cancer? I can't see many succsess stories on the forum? Seems to be all doom and gloom : ( 

• Hi Sezziekinz welcome to the forum and I am so very sorry to hear what is happening  for you and your dad right now. Im not quite sure what it is that you are asking. However, I do know that people still view hospices as places people go to die but they have changed a lot over the years and very often have people going back and forth to get symptoms under control as these people know what drugs to use in combination to get these symptoms that dad is experiencing under control. Hope that makes sense?  

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Gail,I'm thankful he is being offered the respite as he needs it, 2 weeks ago when this was mentioned he put the phone down on the nurse! But it's been a rapid decline since then,I'm just worried he won't come out and there doesn't seem to be much information around recovering from side effects.

• Hi SezzieKinz and a warm welcome from me, don't often post on this forum, my main one is the living with incurable cancer forum, where many of us go in to the hospice for respite care or pain management and then go home. quite a few several times. Just as GRANNY59 has said, Hospices are so much more than places to die. I lost my mum to T4 lung cancer which was not treatable, I know it's difficult but please don't give up hope, your dad's treatment has taken a lot out of him, treatment he wouldn't have had if the doctors didn't think it would help, take care.

Eddie

• Thankyou Eddie : )

This nasty disease certainly does mess with your hopes!

Sarah