mum and dad has cancer

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

7months ago my mum was diagnosed with ovarian and bowel cancer 

im not coping at all then 6 weeks ago my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer 

my mum is having a 8hr operation next week and im a mess.

i cry all the time. im so tired i don’t no what to do 

• Hello Pinochhio and a warm welcome to the forum, I am so sorry to hear about your mum and dad and the awful situation you find yourself in, It's understandable you are not coping or sleeping and in tears all the time  but you have been very brave in reaching out and asking for help. If your mum or dad need help with their daily needs you can ask your GP or the hospital  to provide help at home, and I know you want to help and support your parents and be with them all the time, but it is too much for anyone to cope with physically and emotionally, you need to think of yourself, give yourself a little time every day to relax and recharge and it will help you to better support mum and dad and talking to others about your feelings and worries will help you as well, the Macmillan support line is a good place to start 0808 808 00 00. I have looked after many people with cancer though never two at the same time, please ask for help and support for yourself and your parents please take care and best wises to all your family, 

Eddie

• thankyou so much it’s hard as i also work 5 days as well and also waiting for a hysterectomy, my daughter has told me to ring them as well but i always feel there are people worse off than me 

• Please do as your daughter tells you, It benefits everyone for you to get support for your parents, your mum and dad will have people visiting who will  understand their condition and notice any issues early before they get worse and offer advice and support with any issues. It will give you some time for yourself, which is really important and take some pressure of you as well. And hopefully keep your mum and dad out of hospital unless it's essential, so the hospital benefits too and your parents infection risk falls as well, and when the support is running it will give you time to recover from your operation knowing your parents are in good hands. Good luck to you all.

Eddie

• thankyou just on our way to the hospital now 

• Morning pinochio, best wishes for today, take care.

Eddie