My Mum

• 6 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I am very new to this and I’m sorry if this is not what this is for. My Mum was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer last year, she was initially told it was Stage 1 and hadn’t spread, but when she had the surgery to remove they discovered it was stage 3 and had spread to the lymph nodes. She was then told she would most likely have Chemo to basically cleanse her body is how it was kind of explained but was then sadly told that the type cancer she had was resistant to chemotherapy and so she is having immunotherapy. We were told that this will keep the cancer away for up to 2 years but that it will come back. We have to then hope there is a chemo by then or that it can be removed. She is over half way through her year long treatment and coping really well and selfishly as much as I don’t want her to go through treatment I’m terrified that by July it will be finished and then it’s just a waiting game. I don’t really know anyone going through this and while friends are supportive I’m learning that people don’t really know what to say. I can generally cope well most days but the reality is that I’m completely terrified of what might come next. Thank you for reading. 

• Hi  L2195 and a warm welcome to the forum but sorry you have to be hear and the reason why. like your mum i have bladder cancer with complications, so can't really help with what's to come post immunotherapy, though Macmillan do have a forum, The Bladder cancer forum, where if you put your post on there you would get lots of advice and support. I am glad your mum is coping really well and understand, from experience, how emotional it is looking after a parent with cancer, I wish you and your mum the very best on your cancer journey, take care.

Eddie

• Cancer is such a challenging journey, but it's great that your mom is responding well to treatment so far. Try to focus on enjoying your time together. Don't be afraid to talk about how you're feeling with loved ones too.

I hope the best for your mom and your whole family.

• Hi there,

I'm new to this group too so equally unsure how it works but I saw your message and decided to reply. I'm sorry to hear about your mum and I thought I'd share my current situation & feelings in case it's helpful.

My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in September. They've said the cancer won't go away, but they can try and hold it off as long as possible with drugs (average 2-3 years), until more intense treatment is required to keep it at bay as long as possible.

While I'm managing to function ok, I'm also just feeling very scared of what is to come. It feels very overwhelming. And also coming to terms with the reality of her current situation and energy levels feels tough too as I'm missing her being as she was.

I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I'm sending lots of love and wishing you and your mum all the best. 

• Dear EddieL, 

Thank you for your reply and I’m so very sorry to hear that you are going through this. Thank you for letting me know about the bladder cancer forum I will certainly look at this. Wishing you all the very best on what is such a tough journey. Take care of yourself. 

• Dear Jhon, 

Thank you so much for your kind reply. 

• Dear TLK, 

I’m so sorry to hear of what your Mum and yourself are going through. It’s so hard to watch a family member go  through this and seeing how it affects them, for the most part my Mum is coping well with treatment however she does get very tired and so I can totally relate to how you miss having your Mum the way she used to be. 

Thank you for reaching out, going through this can definitely feel quite isolating at times. Wishing you and your Mum all the very best and lots of love. Take care of yourself.