Feelings of abandonment and worry

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

Hi 

I know this sounds really weird but my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer at 49 long  story short it wasn’t as bad as they first though although still a long process of chemo / radio/ surgery / stoma:/ infections / stoma reversal but he was doing well and returned to hospital for last oncology and bloods which of course have now shown up something, so he has been back for scan and now we are waiting results again! 

He is  amazing and I am a total wreck before he even had bloods done I starting turning Into this jealous woman that thought as he was getting his life back again he wouldn’t want me anymore ??  
It’s like in my head I’m loosing him anyway! For context we have been together 29 years married for 22 and are very much in love. 
I read into and overthink everything 

I just wondered if anyone else has felt like this ? Waiting g for results aside it’s almost like I feel abandoned or I’m worried about being abandoned. I am very open about how i am feeling and he is amazing it’s almost a standing joke that he reminds me it was me that is /was poorly 

do you think counselling would help, I’d this it now this feeling of worry and dread every time he has a test :-( 

Thanks for  any adnvice 

• Hi

Good news - you do not sound weird at all to me - so either we are both mad or perhaps we just do our best to cope with next to impossible circumstances.

I talk sometimes at work about my life and get lots of comments back like "you are inspirational" - and perhaps I need to be better at accepting their view - mostly I just think what else would you expect someone to do in this circumstance.

Being well informed helps but we do need to take care what we read and especially what we read in to it. Survival statistics are based on people treated 5 or 10 years ago and are getting better all the time but even then which side will the coin toss fall. Then we easily ignore really common risks we face every day.

Would counselling help - I could not say but on the other hand would it hurt, if the only thing lost is a bit of time. I did a living with less stress course that really helped me.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge