Struggling to process

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this. My daughter has been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and she will die but we don’t know how long we have. She’s started on a trial drug but it’s so hard coming to terms with it all. She’s being very focused on making life after her easier for her husband and three young kids. But it’s breaking my heart watching them all together knowing they’re going to grow up without her. I just needed a place to talk safely. Thanks. 

• Hi  and welcome to our community though really very sorry to hear about your daughter.

Very often we hear of either parents or siblings with cancer and quite a lot of information for cancer in children can be focused a those much younger. However our general information on Supporting a family member with cancer still applies especially the bits about your feelings.

You are so right that talking can be very helpful, so glad you have found us but it you need to talk to a real person remember you are welcome to call the phone line - I have certainly cried at them in the past.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Steve

I spent much of my career teaching kids with cancer in hospital. I coped with all the sadness and tragic stories by separating work from home, my own two children being my world. I never dreamed that I would now be in those parent’s shoes. My daughter is only 32 and should have her life ahead of her. Instead she’s battling against this ruthless disease. Her cancer is very rare dedifferentiated sarcoma. The first tumour was attached  to her bowel but removed by surgery leaving her all clear but with a stoma. She was planning her reversal when cancer struck again this time in her pelvis. Ironically if it wasn’t for the stoma things would be even worse. It all seems a sick joke to me. I have so many what ifs in my head … what if her husband shuts us out once she’s gone … what if he meets someone else… where will we as maternal grandparents fit in. 
    I’m so scared. My daughter is always ready to listen and help me. How will I manage? How will her brother my son manage. How will the grandkids cope. She’s an amazing mum and daughter. Why does thisFrowning2have to happen Frowning2