Dad diagnosed, 4th person in my family

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi, never posted on here before, sorry if this is the wrong group

my dad was told he has stage 4 tongue cancer yesterday, there was a fancy name for it but i've forgotten, im heart broken for him, they cant take the tumour out and just hoping radio and chemo will get rid, I had my 3rd baby 10 months ago and they dote on each other,

its bad enough both my grandmothers (one bowel & liver, the other lung) and one grandad (prostate) have it at the moment and now this, is there anyone else out there with multiple people in their family with cancer, i dont know anyone going through same thing, heads all over

thanks

• Hi and welcome to our community though sorry to hear about what you as a family are going through. We often hear the statistics that one in two will be affected by cancer in their lifetime but often people do not talk about it much. I know since "coming out" in my workplace the number of people who will now confide in me has really gone up.

Our pages on tongue cancer are here - I would guess from that that your dad may have the Oropharyngeal cancer variety,

My wife's cancer is different again to all of those in your family, my mother's cancer was only diagnosed after she had died - though not that it killed her.

What I found, pretty much the hard way - I guess a typical bloke - was that I had to find a way to work for me so that I could be the best help possible to my wife. I did a living with less stress course that really helped me, living in the here and now because I could imagine all sorts of bad things happening and it stopped me enjoying today. Controlled breathing also made it easier for me when life decides it is time to throw another curve ball our way. Just looking at Supporting a family member with cancer can be a helpful start to note this can be difficult but talking and sharing - even by type on here, can do really helpful.

Our son is 18 now but still remember when I could cup him in my hands - he too has lived with cancer for the majority of his life but he is all the stronger for it.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi and welcome to our community though sorry to hear about what you as a family are going through. We often hear the statistics that one in two will be affected by cancer in their lifetime but often people do not talk about it much. I know since "coming out" in my workplace the number of people who will now confide in me has really gone up.

Our pages on tongue cancer are here - I would guess from that that your dad may have the Oropharyngeal cancer variety,

My wife's cancer is different again to all of those in your family, my mother's cancer was only diagnosed after she had died - though not that it killed her.

What I found, pretty much the hard way - I guess a typical bloke - was that I had to find a way to work for me so that I could be the best help possible to my wife. I did a living with less stress course that really helped me, living in the here and now because I could imagine all sorts of bad things happening and it stopped me enjoying today. Controlled breathing also made it easier for me when life decides it is time to throw another curve ball our way. Just looking at Supporting a family member with cancer can be a helpful start to note this can be difficult but talking and sharing - even by type on here, can do really helpful.

Our son is 18 now but still remember when I could cup him in my hands - he too has lived with cancer for the majority of his life but he is all the stronger for it.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge