Mum's cancer

• 3 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi everyone my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer in early May this year, since then she's cancelled all the appointments that will tell us how far it's spread (we know it's in her lymph nodes). TodPensiveay she has an appointment with with an oncologist, my aunt who my mum has put down as next of kin is taking her, I'm so hoping they get to this appointment as it just feels like we're in the dark about this and fear that it's too late for any treatment. My mum has schizophrenia and is a heavy smoker, our relationship has never been a normal sort of mother/daughter one, my grandmother brought me up basically. I love my mum dearly and this is really hurting. What makes it more sad is that I'm getting married in 9 weeks and want her to see me in my dress. Just here for some support really as I have depression and anxiety myself so this on top is overwhelming.

• Hi and welcome to our community, though sorry to hear about your mum - sort of balanced of course with the joy of hearing about your upcoming marriage. Marriage is of course one of life's big events and so I can see how easy it would be to become extra anxious.

For me it is my wife who has cancer, her's is Leiomyosarcoma and it has spread just about everywhere - however she had a couple of rounds of chemotherapy and while they could not cure her instead we have found a new happy place in that her cancer is stable and she is in remarkable health - living with cancer.

Hopefully the oncology team are aware of all your mum's conditions and will be able to deal with them all together. While your relationship with your mother you class as not "normal" - I can see in your words your love for her, she is after all your mother.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope her illness is still curable. Don't give up hope.

I can understand how you feel with your complicated relationship with your mum. My Dad had cancer and is now in recovery after over a year of treatment but we have a strained relationship also. It adds an extra layer of difficulty throughout the process for sure.

I hope you still manage to have a great wedding despite your circumstances. 

• Hi firstly congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I've been married 7 weeks I found out 2 weeks before my wedding of my mums cancer diagnosis of incurable liver cancer. My mum too has severe mental health issues she has bipolar and personality disorders. Due to a tough life she turned to drink which is now why she has cancer. I just wanted to say I understand how hard it is to not get on well with a parent but at the same time you want them to be around and want to love them even if life with them hasn't always been easy. You're not alone and I Hooe you're wedding will be amazing and your mum will share that special moment with you