My Dad, now my mum

• 2 replies
  • 32 subscribers

This is hard. I lost my dad to Lung cancer in 2020 after he was diagnosed with late stage lung cancer in 2019. My mother was diagnosed the same year my dad passed. Her Third bout with breast cancer, only this time in has metastasised to the bone. All treatment for her has stopped, it is just time and her comfort we are working on. She is strong willed and focused on getting better, but the doctors have given up. It is hard to hear and watch and cope with any of it. It's all so very unfair. Her GP have let her down as despite her having cancer twice before, they didn't excalate her intial symptoms (1 year before diagnosis) and it was found by accident when we had to rush to A&E.

I was angry, but now I am mostly sad, a sadness that keeps growing and threatens to swallow me whole. I have changed forever having lost my dad the way we did. It was the height of the pandemic and my dad was stuck abroad and we could not get him back nor get ourselves out there. To lose my mum so shortly after will break me. I am not sure if this will help but I am trying to prepare myself, ourselves, so we can make the most of the time we have left with her so she passes knowing her family are there for her and love her very much, despite how helpless we all are.

Thank you for reading.

A   

• Hi

So sorry to read about both your dad and your mum. I am sure even thought you were not together your dad knew of the love I can read in your message.

There are often a whole range of emptions we all feel no matter where we are one the cancer journey, I hope you have a good GP yourself as they may certainly be able to help you. As for being helpless - you show you care, that is far from being helpless. Coming here though was I hope you will find a great idea, we understand some days just suck.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I can relate to your situation. My mum died in February this year and Dad learnt shortly after her funeral that his mouth cancer from last year , has returned to his neck. He has received palliative therapy with Proton Beam radiotherapy. That is now over and he is recovering at home . I live quite a distance away which makes me feel as if I’m not supporting him. I feel as if I have a blanket of sadness around me.I hope you’re able to think about good times with your both your dad and mum. 
    all the best 

J.