The end of treatment for mums breast cancer

• 1 reply
  • 32 subscribers

Hi,

My mum was diagnosed with stage 3 her 2 positive breast cancer last august, she has had chemo, a mastectomy, node clearance and has her last radio session today.

My mums cancer was still present after chemo, and was in 7 out of 14 nodes, this petrifies me.

I am absolutely petrified of mum finishing treatment in the fear that the cancer may already be somewhere else and we don't know it yet..

They don't offer any scans now until a yearly mammogram, and I am just soo scared it hasnt gone and will come up the worst.

I can't think positive, and I feel like after all she has been through and got through I should be happy her treatment has ended, but because it was so aggressive and in the nodes I can't help but think it will return or is still there. :( :(

I get married in 2 weeks and I just feel absolutely terrible.

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your mum and the worry this is causing you. If we look at this page we see information about life after cancer treatment. 

My wife's cancer is different and is still there but in her case the cancer is now stable - so we are living with rather than dying from cancer.

Getting married of course is both wonderful and stressful in many ways, I did a living with less stress course that really helped me. It helped me focus on the here and now and enjoy what we have rather than worry about some dark future - I was always better at imagining all the disasters that never happened. Conscious breathing exercises were also great in dealing with the unexpected but also good for relaxation.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge