Dad just diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi all, 

My Dad has been poorly for a few weeks but has now been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. 

I'm so unbelievably devasted and although we thought it might be cancer, we never expected it to be this bad. 

I'm at a complete loss of what to do or how to feel, I feel unbearably sad and can't and don't want to imagine a world without him. What do I do? I'm lucky to have an incredibly close family and a very supportive boyfriend, but I know my life will never be the same again. 

• Hi,

my dad also recently got diagnosed with terminal liver cancer which has spread. Unfortunately the doctors have only given him months left to live.

I think the only way you can deal with it is to just take one day at a time, be there for your dad and anything he needs in terms of support etc.

for me, it makes me feel a lot better knowing I have made so many good memories with my dad, it’s hard especially as I never expected to face the thought of loosing my dad so soon. 

if you ever need to chat though- happy to help, I know exactly how you feel. 

• Hi, 

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, it's just awful isn't it and as you say I never expected this all to happen so soon. 

Like you I have been lucky to make some amazing memories with my Dad, I'm just so sad that one day they'll just be memories and he won't be here any more. 

Thank you, I may well take you up on that. X

• Hi,

I'm so sorry about your dad. I can completely relate as my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer in November.

He didnt want to know his prognosis, but from what I've read it's not good.

He is currently undergoing chemo, but I found out last week that there was only a 30% chance it will work.

I feel so sad and lonely all of the time. I keep imagining life without my dad and it's unbearable. I don't know how to cope.

I spend so much time crying and am so worried about how ill he is going to get and thinking about my mum being on her own.

I can't believe that a few months ago life was normal, and now this is happening.

Everyday feels like a struggle to get through and I feel so overwhelmed.

Like you I have a supportive family and boyfriend, but it doesnt stop the awful feeling of loneliness that I am feeling with all these sad thoughts going through my head all day everyday. I don't think I will ever feel properly happy again. x