New here.

• 2 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi all, 

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer just before Christmas 2021. They can’t operate as he had heart problems. He has started chemo and had his 2nd session last week. He feel fine no pain. 

We were told that without treatment he would only have a few weeks to a few months to live. We know he will die we just don’t know how long he had left.

I had a mini breakdown at work on Friday where it hit me that it actually happening. I’m finding it so hard and I have overactive thyroid and the stress of worrying about my dad is not helping. 

I feel so alone. I feel like I can’t talk to my parents or siblings, as I don’t want to upset them. 

I know it only going to get harder. 

• Hi Red24,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer in November, Like your dad, they cant operate, so are doing chemo. So I can completely understand how you are feeling. I've never known pain like I have been feeling since this diagnosis.

I'm not surprised you had a breakdown at work. It's such an awful thing that we are having to deal with. I have cried in front of so many people at work, but everyone is so supportive.

I think you should speak to your parents and siblings. They will be feeling the same as you, and the support that you can give each other is something that you will all need to get through this.

I speak to my brother all the time, and we cry on each other and help each other when we are having our breakdowns.

I couldnt stop crying this morning, and even though my boyfriend has been there for me, and my brother called me, I still felt alone. But can only imagine how much worse things would be if I couldnt speak to them.

I'm glad that you have reached out on here. Inpist om here a lot and ot is comforting to know there are others out there who are going through the same thing. x

• Hi,

my dad also recently got diagnosed with terminal liver cancer which has spread. Unfortunately the doctors have only given him months left to live with no chance of being able to do chemo.

I think the only way you can deal with it is to just take one day at a time, be there for your dad and anything he needs in terms of support etc.

for me, it makes me feel a lot better knowing I have made so many good memories with my dad, it’s hard especially as I never expected to face the thought of loosing my dad so soon. 

if you ever need to chat though, I know exactly how you feel.