New here

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed stage 4 lung cancer 2 weeks ago and now confirmed she has brain secondaries. She is home and on a palliative care pathway. I live in the uk and she’s in ireland. It’s so hard not knowing what to do to help and if I should rush over or wait a few weeks.I have siblings there who are currently taking it in turns to look after her.  I’m afraid of waiting too long but don’t want to rush over and panic her. She’s currently okish in herself, can still walk but very wobbly on her feet and it is obvious she is in complete denial. It has been such a shock to us all and it feels like we have landed in a whole scary new world

• Hi and welcome to the most wonderful we hope nobody ever gets to join.

Totally get your emotions, if we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer we can see how "normal" we are at times like this and perhaps that can help us feel less alone.

Often if can feel like the cancer patient is in denial but sometimes it can be they have a struggle in processing their own emotions - and tie that to not wanting to be a burden to others or whatever - emotions can get really messy.

It can be worth perhaps looking at what "Palliative care" means - I know when I first heard it I thought it mean end of life was close but I was so wrong.

Do post on here if you have any questions, or just want to compare notes, or talk - or anything. Someone is always listening and here understanding is a given.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge