Mums terminal cancer- what to tell my son

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

My lovely mum was diagnosed with lung cancer then brain mets within the last 2 weeks. We are all devastated. We live 200 miles away from mum and have a 7 year old son. I just don't know what to tell him about his beloved gran.

We're going to visit and I know she's visibly changed. She's had some personality changes as a result of the cancer and is very different to how she was before cancer.  I know that she's only going to deteriorate so I really want my son to see her now.  I don't know how much to tell him. I don't want to traumatise him or make him scared to see her. Does anyone have any advice or experience in a similar situation? Thank you.

• I’ve got to have the same discussion with my 3 year old at some point and have reached out for some help. I’ve been told to be as honest as you can with their understanding of things. 

There are charities that can help understanding bereavement on children too . Also been told don’t tell them someone is I’ll and they fall asleep as it could scare them. 

sorry to hear your in the same situation 

• Thank you, sorry that you're in this same awful situation.  I will have a look for bereavement charities x