My husband has renal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with renal cancer in 2019. Because of his other health issues it is inoperable and we have been told his life expectancy is up to 5 years. I'm really struggling. I feel lost, very alone and scared and have no one to talk to. I find myself crying a lot.

My husband is in a great deal of pain now and so can’t sleep at night. This obviously affects us both and we have started to snap at each other and argue a lot.  My son tries to be supportive but lives 100 miles away, no one else in the family is much help and I don’t know where to go for help and support.

• Hi and welcome to our community - so sorry to read about your husband though,

That prognosis sounds unusual in my experience, often survival rates are given by the percentage of people expected to live at least five years - after that point it often starts to get more difficult to decide if someone died from their cancer or from many of the other things that are out there.

Feeling alone is a very common emotion and it can be difficult to share with those closest to us - well done on finding the community but if might help to use our in your area tool  to find support given your postcode (sometimes worth trying the hospital postcode too).

Pain can be a real problem but is generally treatable he should talk to his oncology team - and as you both know lack of sleep does not help anyone.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the reply Steve. Sorry I did not explain it clearly. His consultant said when we asked "he could live anywhere between 5 months and 5 years'. He has other life limiting health issues and we only found out about the cancer during tests for one of his other problems. The GP is trying to get his pain management sorted out and iis being quite helpful but it seems it is trial and error to see what works best.

Carolyn