WHY

• 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Where to begin?? 
I’m Lost and numb??

This would have been my mothers 2nd cancer diagnosis in 6 years, after getting over the first diagnosis and heavy treatment we thought we had had a lucky escape. Now 6 years down the line another  diagnosis and treatment had been set and ongoing 3rd treatment in we have now been told that cancer has appeared elsewhere. To top off this not great news while my mother is lying in a hospital bed I have had to call an ambulance for my dad who’s health has slowly decided over the last week. I thought my week could not have got any worse, instead my world around me has fallen apart. They have found that my dad has liver cancer, lung cancer and cancer of the small intestine and doc said it’s not looking good. How can this have happened to us??
I’m too young to lose my parents let alone both together.
what have we/they done to deserve this? 
This life is so so cruel……

• Hi ,

So sorry to read about what is happening to you. Dealing with one family member ill at at time is very challenging; dealing with two can make things seem totally impossible. If we look at Supporting a family member with cancer it is quite easy to recognize just how normal we are to feel like this.

I know with my dad his illness seemed to have come on quite suddenly but looking back it becomes clear he recognized what was happening to him and doing his best to ensure everyone else would be ok. My dad was off the age of course where men were not encouraged to show any weakness - especially so perhaps as most of his career was in the RAF.

Cancer is incredibly unfair, we all hear about things we can do to reduce our risk but simply nothing removes it and so often it seems the best people get the worst outcomes. I am very grateful to the people who have helped to pick me up so often in my journey with my wife's cancer because it can be very hard.

One of the things I learnt along the way is that many people cannot even mention the word cancer. I am so grateful to Macmillan for allowing us the opportunity to support each other because talking (or even just typing) really can help us to feel less alone in a forum where we know we can show that we are hurt and get support. Some at work when I talk about cancer call me inspirational - well thank you very much but I would rather not have to worry about cancer and I never intended to be that kind of inspiration.

Perhaps the old saying "a trouble shared is a trouble halved" was invented for our community.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for replying. I don’t know you but I really feel like your words mean lot and as you said typing is helping! Letting go to anyone who will listen is what I need right now. I keep my tears for home and although I have my few family around me I feel so alone. I will be for ever great full for this service that allow so many people to come together. Thank you Macmillan Heart

• This has stuck a cord with me, as I have just learnt of my mum's diagnosis and it has just left me sick. Big hugs and will be thinking of you x

• Flowers,

I ask myself that question all the time, life is unbearable and cruel xxxxx