How to help my Mum

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

It’s been almost a year since my Mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, she had a successful operation however only managed 4 out of the 12 chemo sessions planned due to her body not accepting the treatment. The treatment was always stated as “mop up” to ensure everything had gone

After almost a year scans are coming back clear and my mum is starting to feel a lot better physically but mentally it’s taking it’s toll.

Throughout my mums journey she tried to remain as positive and strong as possible but understandably had the odd down day however the down days are now increasing.

My mum tells people she doesn’t like the way she looks, I tell her she looks good! She is worried about the cancer coming back, she is worried the fact she never completed her treatment, I tell her to look at the positives-her operation was a success and her scan last week was clear.

My mum is struggling to get out of her bed these days and cries most days. We have suggested her speaking to someone but she just replies with “maybe” or “il think about it”. She won’t speak to any of the family about how she is feeling. As a family we don’t know how to help her but my Dad is also starting to struggle mentally as he feels so helpless and is also finding it hard to stay positive 

If anyone could advise how I can not only help my mum but my Dad also, or even how to get her to speak about how she is feeling 

• Hi @jskk,

It is perhaps hard to say "sorry about your mum" when some might feel her news is so good but the truth is many people go through this stage that might be referred to as post traumatic stress - the dreaded "what if's" come to call.

You might get some ideas if you looked through after treatment and then perhaps everyone can realise how normal this is.

Anyone is more than welcome to ring the helpline if they need help - even it is might be how do I help someone I love - sometimes we get worried about people working through their own emotions and I know I needed help to cope with my own stress since I was not helping anyone at the time.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge