The power of music

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hello everyone,

We recently published a blog in our Community News titled, “Songs are therapy too”.

The blog explores how music has become a source of solace, hope, and healing for many within our Community. It also includes a story about The swan song project – a charity that gives people living with terminal illnesses, dealing with bereavement or planning their end stages of life the opportunity and support to write and record their own original song.

You can read the blog here.

We invite you to share your personal stories, along with any meaningful lyrics or songs that have inspired or uplifted you in the past. Our hope is to create a thread filled with the power of music where you can turn to when you need some music therapy.

We look forward to reading your stories and discovering new songs that have made a difference in your lives.

• I think this is a great idea Dylan. I have always been musical and playing the piano has helped me both physically to deal with the neuropathy symptoms caused by my chemo and to help mentally deal with the impact of my cancer diagnosis and treatment. I listen to music a lot and it has really helped on those days when I have been too unwell to do much else. 

Music was played during my radiotherapy treatments and I used to sometimes find it funny the coincidences for some of the songs that came on. Personal favourites etc. I went into one appointment as they played "Come on baby light my fire". "I'm still standing" was another and I was- just about!

I think anyone who watched Lewis Capaldi performing at Glastonbury (whether on tv or live) will not doubt the power of music. Here was someone who was struggling and whilst distressing to see it was uplifting to hear the crowd get behind him and sing the beautiful song he had written back to him out of love and support.

His lyrics were particularly poignant.................

"I'm going under and this time I fear there's no one to save me
    This all or nothing really got a way of driving me crazy
    I need somebody to heal, somebody to know..............................
    Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane

Thank you for replying to my post and sharing your experience. It’s great to hear how playing the piano has been a form of emotional and physical therapy for you. I can relate to how playing an instrument is so therapeutic. When I am feeling down, I often pick up my guitar and play a song or two to process how I am feeling. 

Oh wow, those song coincidences are funny. I’ve wondered if there is someone who makes a playlist for those sessions or if it’s just a random mix they put on.

I saw a clip of Lewis Capaldi at Glostaobry on YouTube, it was so moving to see the crowd support him in such a powerful way. Thank you for sharing those lyrics.

I hope the piano and listening to music continues to be a great source of comfort and therapy for youSlight smile

Best wishes,
    Dylan

Macmillan's Online Community Team