Two types of cancer

• 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, my husband has had non hodkins  lymphoma for 2 1/2 years on watch and wait he was just about to start chemotherapy and was having problems with his bowels.  After tests and scans it revealed he has bowel cancer as well. A large blockage in bowel, within five days of receiving results he is in hospital recovering from having a stoma fitted.

This has totally turned our world upside. I am finding it so difficult dealing with my feelings, supporting  my husband and three adult kids.  We are taking it one step at a time but I am dreading receiving the results of how the bowel cancer will be treated.

• Hi again  and I am so sorry to hear about your husband’s second cancer diagnosis….  unfortunately having an NHL diagnosis like some Low-Grade NHLs are seen as life time conditions so there is time to develop a second cancer.

Do remember that our Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and indeed the Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer support groups are there to help out both on the practical side of going through treatments but also there are a lot of caregivers and family on these groups.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband and indeed yourself and the rest of the family you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only 

……. support group where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

Di remember that the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge