Anxiety

• 15 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Anxiety feels like it’s been my biggest demon, it’s particularly bad when I’m due an appointment with the consultant, even though she’s lovely, my mind wanders and I talk myself into it being bad news.  The worst thing is that a lot of the time I know it’s anxiety, but I’ve talked myself into such a hole I can’t reset my brain into thinking anything different.  An example of a couple months back I was due a review with consultant and on the morning of appointment I woke up with really distorted vision.  Had the appointment, and literally 10 minutes into the drive home (I wasn’t driving!!!) my vision cleared up.  My anxiety started in earnest New Year’s Eve as I have an important scan this week then consultant appointment a couple weeks after for results.  I’ve convinced  myself  it’s spread and can’t get out of the mental hole.  My husband doesn’t particularly understand.  Anyone with tips?  

• This is just wonderful!  Love the Cancer Train analogy!  You do sometimes buy a ticket, but you can also get off the train!

You have helped me many times with your great insights! Thank you! 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Good morning Jac  and I am pleased that you found my post helpful.

I have learned so much over my 23+ years on my unwanted journey and initially I quickly understood that all the medical ‘stuff’ that invades our lives on a cancer journey is on the whole uncontrollable, it’s out of our control….. not a great thing when you are used to being in control……… but this is why we have to put our trust in our clinical teams.

I remember sitting with my Respiratory Consultant (who is actually a good friend) when he told me I had Asbestosis (just one of the health conditions I have - see my story using the link below) and he lightly tapped my head and said that my ‘main battle’ was in the space between my ears. 

I have always known this but it’s important to keep reminding ourselves that this is the part we have to play in the partnership with our health professionals.

Stress and Anxiety is debilitating and can develop health challenges that can at times be as bad as our cancer symptoms.

“At times the cancer life sucks, but don’t let living the cancer life suck the life out of you - author unknown 

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• One thing that has helped me with my anxiety is mindfulness meditation. It can be as simple as taking a few minutes each day to focus on your breath and be present at the moment. There are also lots of apps and online resources that can guide you through meditation exercises. As for natural remedies, Kratom has been known to help reduce anxiety in some people. However, it's important to find a reputable vendor and talk to your doctor before trying any new remedies. You can find more info in this source: https://www.outlookindia.com/outlook-spotlight/best-kratom-vеndors-news-236504. Most importantly, know that you're not alone in this.

• Me too when I got the news I felt numb the consultant told me that I need to lose weight before I could have the operation I was 17 stone Plus and have been out of shape for many years it's very hard to lose weight in six weeks that first six weeks I managed to lose one stone but have been unable to lose the second stone and this is very worrying because the consultant told me that is a six week waiting list for me to have my prostate removed I didn't want to have chemotherapy or anything that would damage other organs so I'm waiting to lose weight and trying to lose weight I've been happy within reason but the consult told me at the last meeting that two years would be around about the point when I would need to have something done or start treatment and it would take another six months for treatment to be assessed whether my cancer treatment would work I'm very very scared because I have four children and I want to see my grandchildren I'm at home I have epilepsy I have arthritis and life just looks really bleak at the moment.

• C Marriott