Wife of advanced stage 4 rectal cancer

• 1 reply
  • 41 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to the group.

My husband was diagnosed with advanced stage 4 rectal cancer which had metastased to the liver in December 2023.

We have 3 children, 21,13,7. He's only 41.

After 4 months of radiotherapy and a gruelling chemo/immunotherapy regime it is finally operable. 

I'm just so overwhelmed with everything and feel so guilty for being so.

I feel so awful for feeling like this when he gone through so much and still has 2 surgeries to go, with a permanent colostomy being done as well

• Hi  

A warm welcome to our community though sorry to hear about what you are going through.

My wife has Leiomyosarcoma so very different to your husband and we have one son so different in detail but recognize much of what you say. If we look at your feelings when someone has cancer I know I can tick a lot of the boxes on those emotions. I ended up doing a living with less stress course that really helped me, I can now recognize the emotions I feel and acknowledge they are reasonable and it can help to make them less overwhelming.

Talking can be really important as a family member goes through cancer, lots of useful stuff here on that.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge