Not good news this week

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My mum has Stage Breast Cancer which is in her bones.  We've been up, down, shaken and things were fairly stable.  Mum became very confused over a week ago.  Calcium level was too high.  They found issue with kidney which was enlarged.  Today she's had a nephrectomy inserted.  And a blood transfusion.  The ureter is blocked and is sinister.  They told me the inserted tube usually does a good job but is palliative and looking at weeks or  months.  They told mum in the ward by herself and then rang me to explain to me.  I asked how mum had taken it and they said she didn't say anything but by her face they knew she understood.  My mum has never mentioned timelines to me at any stage and I guess that's her way of handling it.  I'm spinning with all these emotions again.  Similar to previous times when we were told cancer.  My kids are into exams so hiding our emotions etc from them.  It's just all a lot today and I'm scared.

• Hi AmandadePanda welcome to the forum Its ok to feel scared and its ok to want to scream at the world, its not fair and there is no rhyme nor reason to it all. Your mum maybe doesnt want to discuss timelines and just take a day as it comes and maybe thats her way to cope with all this. Feel free to come on here at any time and sound off there is usually someone around and they will get back to you if you need them to.

If you felt that you wanted to speak with someone at Macmillan just to chat then please do give the Helpline a call on 08088080000

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi @amandadePanda. So sorry to hear what you and your Mum are going through. This cancer journey totally sucks. My Sister has stage 4 bowel cancer with liver and lung mets. She is 17 months into this and is 47. Like you, I am trying to shelter my teenage girls who are very close to her but tonight I broke down. I popped in to see my Sister and she was having a bad day. We have known since her last scan a few weeks ago that time is limited but tonight she mentioned the Dr had said ‘months’. I can’t get it out my head and keep thinking how cruel this disease is.

I still keep hope though as this is so different for everyone, responses to any treatment vary, even Drs can be surprised by patients sometimes so there is always hope. Live each day. My sister is in a pretty dark place so I’m trying to focus on making things brighter day by day and avoiding planning for the future in any way, I really hope your Mum responds well to her treatment and that you get more optimistic news soon. I understand the rollercoaster you are on and we just have to live for the ‘ups’ I think. Take care of yourself x