Osteoradionecrosis

• 2 replies
  • 41 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with tongue and neck cancer in August 2018, operated on in October 2018 , I the theater for 10 hours, 50% of tongue removed and lymph nodes removed from neck. Was in hospital for 17 days.  Radiotherapy started just before Christmas 2018 into January 2019, 30 treatments, one 16 hour infusion of chemotherapy, was meant have 2 but couldn’t have it, because his blood count was too low.

Last year was bad for him, with serveral investigations, CT’s , Endoscopies, colonoscopy, found out he had chronic and acute pancreatitis.And he has other ailments .

March I discovered a small hole on the outside of his jaw and inside of his mouth was very painful .

Hes now been diagnosed with osteoradionecrosis. And he’s been put on a permanent antibiotic, until they know what they will do with jaw. And I have to keep clean and I put a dressing on it twice a day. Because the hole can not be left without any protection, because you can actually see the bone.

He also has low grade precancerous cells in the floor of his mouth. 
So really don’t know what is going to happen, because I really don’t think he will be fit enough for another big operation this time . Because he’s older and not very fit