19 year old son diagnosed with cancer for a 2nd time

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Going through a tough time.  My son was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma 8 years ago and had 6 months of chemo.  He only got the all clear 2.5 years ago and was diagnosed with another cancer at the end of January this year.  It's not related to HL and it's a really rare cancer with a cancer gene mutation and MDT can't find anyone, anywhere with this cancer with the gene mutation.  He's had surgery to remove the tumour but they couldn't get it all.  He'll be starting targeted gene therapy probably next month and then more surgery and probably more treatment after that.

We are absolutely devastated and I'm heartbroken for my son.  He seems to be coping better than me.  He was getting his life back on track, is in 1st year in University and enjoying himself as all 19 year olds should be.  As the cancer isn't agressive there is no rush on the treatment and it took the team a while to come up with a treatment plan so at least he'll get to finish 1st year at university.  

Finding it very difficult to talk to people, have been avoiding situations as I just get so upset.  I'm going to counselling, my friends and work colleagues have been fantastic.  But it's so hard trying to get on with life.  And so hard watching you child going through this again and wondering is this what his life will be like - constantly fighting cancer.  

• Hi  

Rare cancers can be challenging - my wife has Leiomyosarcoma and before coming on here I had never met someone with the same. I remember though before cancer visited my family how uncomfortable a conversation was around that. I can be amazing how typing on here with people who just get it can be helpful though of course we are welcome to speak to someone on the helpline too (they are amazing!).

I did a living with less stress course that really helped me - a key element was focusing on the here and now rather than worrying about a future that I could not control. I was also much better at coming up with disasters than actually happened.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Steve, yes I really have to work hard on focusing on the here and now.  Like you I am great at coming up with the disasters, that never happen!

• Hi PearlJamNo1Fan

I'm so sorry about your son. I can empathise, my daughter also has a very rare cancer. She's had eight cycles of chemo and two surgeries. Radiotherapy to come when she's fully recovered from latest surgery followed by 14 more chemo cycles.

She's doing well now, coping with everything and trying to continue working as much as she can. I was beyond devastated and totally overwhelmed at first - but somehow you find the strength deep inside you to carry on - because you have to, for your child. 

I'm coping a bit better a year down the line. I found it too hard to talk to anyone for the first few months, really just wanted to shut daughter and I away from the world and pretend it wasn't happening. Faith is a great comfort, as are a few close friends, family, daughter's medical team and this website. 

Sending love, strength and very best wishes to you and your son. x

• Thanks Cherry.  You do find the strength to cope but I've had to dig very deep 2nd time around.  But I know I have to look after myself so I can be there for my son.  

Wishing your daughter all the best.