My Mother Just Started Chemo - I'm Worried

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My mom got diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer last week, and also started chemo two days ago. She is feeling incredibly ill, and I feel there is nothing much I can do to ease her discomfort and sickness. She feels she can't carry on, is anxious and can't get through this right now, and I am trying my best to encourage her to get through these first few days as her body processes the chemo. Does it get better? Will she slowly feel a little better after a few more days? I've never had a family member with cancer before, and I am so scared and worried right now. Is there hope for her to start feeling better with treatment? I feel like my world has shattered, and my dad and I are trying our very best to help her.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your mum, watching our loved ones go through cancer treatment can be very hard.

In our experience we were given a printout of expected side effects with different levels of probability and were encouraged to contact the oncology team with questions .Sickness is quite common but can usually be controlled to some degree with anti-sickness medications however it can be worth seeing if a different combination might help.

You might find it helpful to talk to some of our friends in the Breast cancer forum as they may have some suggestions that are outside my experience since my wife has a different form of cancer. Janice had two kinds of chemotherapy, the first caused a number of issues and meant it was stopped at the halfway stage. Later she had a different chemotherapy and thankfully it seems to have stopped the cancer progressing.

In terms of you of course - I find it helpful to look at your feelings when someone has cancer - I found that some of these helped to make these emotions less overwhelming.

Do post whenever, someone is always listening and it can help us feel less alone.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I have found that you have to be quite firm and insistent on getting these issues addressed. More importantly they can re assure you it may be a temporary thing or not temporary.

Sadly some chemo is not tolerable and may have to be discontinued.

Your Mum's mental health is important here Heart️