Resentful

• 5 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi All

My father has been diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer with less than 18 months life expectancy and for the past 4 months I have been staying with him 3 or 4 nights a week. I am his only child and he has no partner and lives on his own. When I am there, I know I am helpful, cleaning, doing laundry, running errands, making him food and financially supporting where I can even though I have been unemployed myself since December currently receiving no financial support or benefits which is an added stress. However I find I feel quite resentful being there after a couple days, constantly biting my tongue feeling my freedom and peace has been taken away but then feeling guilty when I am back home trying to find moments of joy with friends so I can feel mentally stronger when I next go to see him. All I really want to do is to be able to feel emotionally close with him at this time, making good memories and have rich meaningful conversations and moments of light Humour and positivity so he feels supported and loved amongst all of the extreme pain he is in especially with the little time we have left together. I don’t want to live in regret once he’s gone that I wasn’t the kindest and closest to him that I could have been but I just feel so overwhelmed and at times frustrated, struggling to open up to him and be the emotional support he needs. 
I sometimes feel I am doing the best I can at my maximum emotional capacity but equally feel like I am never doing enough and am failing him as a daughter. 
Does anyone else relate to this and can offer advice on perhaps me changing my mind set? Also any advice on potential financial and care support as he is due to start chemo next week and I know the journey ahead is a rough one. 
Appreciative of this group and thank you. My thoughts are with you all who are also struggling at this time. Feel I just needed to vent to people who understand. 

• Hi Igby

Your feelings are perfectly normal. It’s extremely difficult looking after a parent. It doesn’t matter how much you do or how often you visit you will find you still feel guilty when you have some free time for yourself thinking should you be doing more. I had these feelings looking after my mum after my dad died. She lived for another 12 years with dementia. It’s important you do get time to recharge and enjoy your own life -you know your dad would want that. There are allowances available like carers allowance and attendance allowance - I’m not too knowledgeable on benefits but I’m sure the MacMillan helpline would be able to advise. We employed a cleaner who came in 3 times a week and was as much a friend as a cleaner. She did all the laundry and often brought in little treats. It gave us some peace of mind. It sounds like you are a wonderful daughter doing a tremendous amount for your dad - I suggest you speak to MacMillan about what help might be available. X

• Hi Igby

i am in a similar situation my Dad has had chemo and radiotherapy through the last year he struggles with memory and is extremely tired not the man he was 18 months ago. 
    im his only help I have a brother in a care home trying to run a business and help with child care for my granddaughters. I feel like a jigsaw which everyone has a piece.

on the positive side there is so much love don’t have too many expectations of your Dad I’m sure he loves you so much and will be thankful for the time you spend with him. You are doing your best time wise take time for yourself so you have better energy when you are with him. Most of all don’t feel guilty just cherish the time you are with him. 
    as for financial help my Dad gets attendance allowance I applied online and it came back quickly going straight into his bank. You can get carers allowance but there is an earnings limit.

keep posting and enjoy the time together 

big hugs

• Hi BethS

Hope you are well.  Thanks so much, appreciate your message. Think I'll always feel conflicted. Thank you for the info regarding cleaner/ benefits. I'll look into and hope you're ok 

x

• Hi MichW

Really appreciate your message and thanks for the info. Nice to feel alone in my feelings, all you need sometimes. Thanks also for the info. Hope you are all ok 

x

• Hi Igby

I just wanted to say that  many of us who are supporting a loved one with cancer have times where we feel like this. The challenges of this crazy new world of living with cancer are overwhelming and bewildering. Your feelings are so understandable and hope you are able to find some help with the different allowances that might help. 

If you can, be kind to yourself when you are able. You are a caring and loving daughter to your Dad, living in the shadow of this beastly disease. 

This kind and supportive community is here and I send my love. x