Rare small cell carcinoma in my 30 year old husband

• 2 replies
  • 47 subscribers

I feel like a freight train has hit us with stage 4 cancer that is small cell carcinoma, unknown primary and possibly started in lung. Although the prognosis for this condition is really bad - months- the doctor stressed he’s far from the typical patient and the prognosis numbers don’t really apply. But I’m still struggling with the question of how long….what to expect with chemotherapy….there’s just so much information comiNg at us at once, and long lists of medications, tests , scans, etc.

any tips on how to cope with the sudden ness of it all , I’d be grateful for. 

• Oh lalala, I'm so sorry you find yourself here. My daughter, who.is a few years older than your husband, was diagnosed with a rare cancer seven months ago. We are through two rounds of chemo and surgery,  with radio and more chemo to come.

I felt totally overwhelmed and beyond desperate at the start. But you will cope.

You should be assigned a cancer nurse, with a number you can phone anytime, 24/7. They are a great source of knowledge and support, do.use them.

Take it one day at a time. Just focus on the next test or appointment, don't think too far ahead.

We made a weekly spreadsheet of meds as there were so many which changed daily during chemo - helped us to keep track.

Chemo is tough. Daughter's worst days were days 3-7 after each cycle, but every drug combination is different.  Try to plan something nice to do together during your husband's 'good days'. 

Keep posting here. Sending a hug and very best wishes. x

• So sorry to hear that. My husband was hit with something similar - CUP- diagnosed in August last year. He was given 4-6 months. But 6 rounds of chemo and just finished radiotherapy he's still here. DisappointedCurrently knocked out by the radiotherapy side effects Disappointed I don't know how long we've got, but just booked a holiday which I know is likely to be our last - but who knows? Miracles do happen.