Secondary lung cancer

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

My step dad who I care for has just been diagnosed with secondary lung cancer, prostate cancer being the primary. He lives on his own, I visit daily to support him, I'm just worried about what happens when he detriates and can no longer be left on his own at night, I'm not sure who to contact for support when the time comes, has anybody any advice or experience of this. Thanks in advance.

• hi  

His local council are responsible for doing a needs assessment 

My parents moved from their home in to a supported living apartment  - they had their own flat but there was a carer on site 24/7 and emergency bell pulls in every room - that worked really well for some time.

Are you both getting any support right now? It might be worth checking if there is anything you might be entitled to that could make life easier now too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks, no not getting any support, trying to manage on our own, but I'm worried that it will go beyond what I can do, he doesn't want to leave his home, I thought about contacting a hospice for when the time comes, but not sure how that works. Thanks for the reply.

• My wife was given a referral to our local hospice when she was diagnosed and we had an appointment with them but since they we have not had any contract with them. Many however have a system in place that is often referred to as hospice at home.

It might be worthwhile giving our helpline a call and they will be able to advise what is available near you and that might be helpful in feeling more in control when the time comes.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the help and advice